Plot twist

Theater+students+from+the+competition+class+put+on+a+one+act+for+the+Nov.+16+Thespian+District+Showcase.+This+one+act+was+prepared+for+the+Thespian+District+Festival.+

photo by Jake Arthur

Theater students from the competition class put on a one act for the Nov. 16 Thespian District Showcase. This one act was prepared for the Thespian District Festival.

The competition theater class will be breaking away from their usual routine for their free showcase, “Southworth Told Me So,” on Monday, May 2 at 6 p.m. in the auditorium for $5.

Each year, the competition theater class spends a majority of its time preparing for the Thespian District and State Festivals where they put together a one act, large group musical numbers, publicity designs and more. In order to display the hard work they put into the class as well as to give them a chance to perform in front of an audience, showcases are held throughout the year.

As the name of the showcase suggests, students will be performing songs and scenes chosen by theater teacher Trevor Southworth. In addition to each student participating in at least one performance, each senior will be performing their own solo entry.

For the upcoming showcase, students had varied reactions upon realizing they would not be able to pick their own events and partners, but ultimately trusted Southworth to pick what piece best suited each group’s talent.

“I was more scared than anything, but I was kind of excited since he has such a vast knowledge of shows and he would definitely pick something that would suit us,” senior James Neal said.

The performances will come from a variety of different musicals and plays including “Jekyll and Hyde,” “The Sisters Rosenweig” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.”

Junior Kim Ariza was thrilled to learn that she would be performing a scene from Angles in America with junior Nick Roof.

“I was ecstatic because I was familiar with the play our scene was from, and it is brilliantly written,” Ariza said. “Also, getting to perform this scene with my best friend makes it 10 times better.”

The showcase will be the last production for the school year as the department closes out its season of productions and prepares for next year. The theater department has decided on a fall musical, “The Mystery of Edwin Drood,” and spring play, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” as well as entries for the Thespian District Festival.