A night of fun: Sammys Awards hosted by leadership

Senior Angel Salva performs “As it was” by Harry Styles. While the Shredded Rat have been practicing for months, they came up with the name of the band at the last minute.
(photo by Francesca Salas)

Five seniors, two songs and a room filled with flashing lights. The Shredded Rat, a band consisting of lead singer Angel Salva, lead guitar Andrew Lane, rhythm guitar and backing vocals Samuel Schultz, bass guitar Aiden Tielsch and drums Edwin Torres were one of three performance sets for the annual Sammys Award show. The band performed two songs: “As It Was” by Harry Styles and “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd.

“We were hoping for a lot of audience interaction between songs but the fact that people were clapping, singing along and pulling their flashlights was more than what we expected,” Schultz said.

We had been practicing as a band for about a year, so we wanted to show off our talents. We [wanted to] perform for the senior class, who we have been with for the past four years

— Senior, Samuel Schultz

The Sammys took place on April 18 at the auditorium. Dressed in semi-formal attire, seniors were greeted with a red carpet leading up to the building where they could take pictures. Inside, students were given a quick snack and drink before the show started. 

The awards show began at 7 p.m. when hosts Tadeo Maggio and Noah Albano began their introductions. Various awards like “Most Flirty” (won by Alyssa Leardi), “Worst Driver” (won by Cristian Cervantes) and “Most Likely to Never Leave Oviedo” (won by Weston Carnicella) were presented.

“There were a few challenges hosting…two days before the Sammys some of the presenters ended up dropping out so we had to try and do what we could with the people left,” Maggio said. “But I had a lot of fun and I think all the entertainers and presenters did a great job and had a good energy overall.”

Between the awards, three entertainment performances were shown. The first was from Shredded Rat, followed by Nick Maxwell, who did various impressions of famous characters like Eric Cartman from South Park, Batman and Donald Trump. The last performance was from Carter Wegman, who played the piano and sang “You Are The Reason” by Calum Scott. 

“We had been practicing as a band for about a year, so we wanted to show off our talent,” Schultz said. “We [wanted to] perform for the senior class, who we have been with for the past four years.” 

The night ended with Maggio and Albano saying a final congratulations to the performers, presenters and award winners. 

The final event set for seniors is prom, which will be held at Hard Rock Orlando this weekend.