The student news site of Hagerty High School

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

Dance team wins second national title

photo by Dance Team Union
Members of Hagerty’s varsity dance team, Unleashed, dancers hold onto each other next week. This is the second time the Unleashed Dance Team has won, as the 2022 team also was awarded a national title

Leaving it all on the dance floor, the varsity dance team “Unleashed” won first place on Feb. 10 at their national competition. 

The team participated in the Dance Team Union circuit, which hosts regional competitions in the fall and the national competition in February. The dancers competed in areas of jazz and lyrical and were scored on technique, artistry, showmanship, spacing, projection and more to evaluate the best routine of the day.

The team had been practicing their nationals routine since July, sticking to a rigorous practice schedule. The girls met two times a week after school, as well as during their sixth-period class, to ensure their stamina was ready for challenging dances.

While the team usually competes within the jazz and lyrical categories, this year’s routines were unique to this set of dancers. The team leaned into a precedent that they have maintained the last few years of staying true to jazz technique through stylized movement and music choices.

“Our lyrical routine was my favorite that I’ve competed with Unleashed and demonstrated our techniques as dancers, as well as our range of emotion as humans,” senior Ella Vescio said.

Since there are 11 seniors on the current team, this has allowed for the girls to build a strong sense of chemistry together over time.

“Most of us have been dancing together for years, so our connection with each other is so much stronger than in previous years,” senior dance captain Leah Getty said.

In previous years, the team did not focus as much on group work; however, the group work within this routine relied on their emotions, and was only possible because of their specific connection as a team. 

“The dance was [thematically] based on coming together as one and our own close bonds and friendships within this team,” senior Jenna Hecker said. “Our group work and emotion was shown in moments throughout the dance like hugging, holding hands and helping one another up when we are down.”

Aside from competing within group routines, senior dance captains Alexis Evans and Getty performed solo routines to show off their individual skill sets.

“The nerves are that much greater since you are the only one on stage and cannot lean on the girls, but the encouragement from my teammates helped a lot,” Getty said. “It is harder to show emotion and make connections without your teammates around you also dancing.”

Although the Unleashed Dance Team won a national title two years ago, many of the girls were not a part of that team, which made this victory that much sweeter. According to Evans, the girls’ relationships as a team strengthened, along with their dancing abilities, helping them win.

“This team is the  closest one I’ve been a part of both on and off the stage, and our positivity towards one another is really shown through our dances,” Evans said. “This season, we’ve pushed each other harder than ever to accomplish our goals and be the best team possible.”

From the beginning of this school year, the team had their incoming competition season at the forefront of their minds, and became determined to be recognized for their dedication to their craft. 

“The kids knew they had it in them to win, and they knew from day one that this routine was extremely special,” head coach Diane Brooks said. “The 2022 team had to be convinced that they could do it, and these kids knew that they already had the capabilities.”

The team also set another goal to reach “The Battle,” a selected showcase of 12-16 teams that are picked to dance again at the end of the competition weekend for a battle cup. When Brooks received a text saying the team had been invited, the team knew that their routine ultimately stood out, boosting their confidence in their performance.

In order to feel more assured with their routine and abilities, the team’s rehearsal time to sharpen their routine made all the difference.

“They went into the [competition weekend] ready because of all of the practice they put into the dances, and we kept the weeks leading up to [the competition] positive and focused,” Brooks said. “At the end of the day, their connection to the piece, along with being extremely comfortable with the choreography, led to our win.”