Rivalry Week sets up for basketball versus Oviedo

photo by Gabriella Navarro
Junior Elleigh Ackerman poses as a Soccer Mom next to the Rivalry Week sign. She loved dressing up with her friends and coordinating her outfits.

Walking down the school hallways, costumes of magical fairies, fraternity guys, expectant mothers and grilling dads all headed to class. But why was everyone dressed so strangely? For the boys basketball game against Oviedo, Rivalry Week, which were organized by the leadership students, got students hyped for the game with coordinated outfits and designated costume wars.

“The student committee wanted dress-up days that included two parts, so [the outfits] were either versus or duos,” Leadership Teacher, Kari Miller said. “We got a lot of participation because it was a little bit easier to dress and students could do it with their friends.”

On Wednesday, the school witnessed an eclectic array of costumes as students participated in “Rhyme Without Reason.” From fairy and dairy pairs to fraternity and maternity duos, creativity filled the classrooms as students showcased their imaginative attire.

Since Barbie is one of her favorite movies, junior Ana Lawrence pushed the rhyming boundaries a little with her RWR outfit: Barbie and Army. With her bright pink earrings, headband and Barbie sweater, Lawrence was excited to meet up with her friend in camouflage pants and an army hat to get their Crumbl cookies from leadership, which were provided at lunch to students who participated in the dress-up days.

“I loved dressing up for [Rhyme Without Reason],” Lawrence said. “I was able to have fun with my friend and wear a Barbie vibe outfit.”

It’s been so much fun dressing up with my friends and seeing everyone’s creative outfits.

— Elleigh Ackerman, junior

Thursday brought a hilarious showdown between BBQ Dads and Soccer Moms. Aprons, khakis, leggings and fanny packs became the fashion statements of the day. The decision-making process for students was as entertaining as the outfits themselves, with specific details incorporated into each ensemble. 

Senior Amanda Negron had the perfect outfit for a soccer mom since she already had mom-like clothing in her closet. With her white turtleneck, puffer vest, flare leggings and chunky mom glasses she was set for the day while drinking her Starbucks latte.

“[My friend] said I looked like a mom before she even realized that I dressed up for the day,” Negron said. “I guess that means it actually worked out perfectly.”

On Friday, the day of the game, was “Kohn’s Clash” where students proudly wore their class colors. Student spirit echoed throughout the school with their matching husky attire.

“[Dress-up days are] something I get to look forward to in the week,” Negron said. “If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t have even known about the basketball game.”

Junior Ana Lawrence (left) and senior Amanda Negron (right) both “serve” for Rhyme Without Reason. They paired up as Barbie and army. (photo by Gabriella Navarro)