The student news site of Hagerty High School

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

Seniors head to Seminole State Decision Day

photo by Lillie Overton
Seniors tour Seminole State College for Decision Day. They took tours and visited informational tents during the half-day trip.

Last Friday, seniors from Hagerty and other Seminole county schools headed to the Sanford/Lake Mary campus of Seminole State College for Decision day. Decision day was a way to showcase the campus for potential and future attendees and it included classes about how to apply for federal aid, tours, and informational tents about courses they offer. 

With tours offered at 10:15 a.m., 10:45 a.m. and 11:15 a.m., guides took students around campus and showed them what Seminole State has to offer. 

Seminole State provided pizza and drinks for lunch at 12 p.m. and students were packing up back to the buses by 12:30 p.m. Students camped out on the campus grounds, listened to the DJ and talked to their friends. 

Points of interest included the therapy dogs in the library, the DJ center in front, and basketball inside of the student center.

Out of the 130 who registered, 117 seniors headed to Decision day, many of them were excited to see what SSC was like and the college experience it offered.

“I thought it was basic at first before I saw all the different degrees they offered and it really persuaded me,” senior Logan Bell said. “Decision day was really helpful as it helped me jumpstart what I am going to expect when I start college.” 

Counselor and event organizer Nick Maby was accompanied by Dr. Andrea Fuhrer, who helped chaperone the event.

“Although the day started with problems due to transportation, our chaperons all handled it beautifully. We even had open seats,”  Maby said. “This was one of my favorite aspects of Decision Day. Seeing our seniors’ camaraderie from the start of the trip all the way through.”

Maby has been organizing the event for the past five years, and he hopes to continue the trip in the future. Fuhrer echoed similar thoughts. 

“It was a little rushed at the beginning because of transportation problems, but the trip was a success because it helped give students a taste of their future,” Fuhrer said. “I loved seeing all of the seniors learn about their future and how to prepare for it.”