Hitting the road for Hoco

Everything you need to know for Homecoming Week, Oct. 23-28
photo by Lillie Overton
The midblock leadership class hands out homecoming t-shirts during first lunch between the cafeteria and building 6

As the end of October nears, the buzz around Hagerty changes to whispers about homecoming week. What are the dress up days? Where can you buy tickets? 

Most of these questions can be found on Leadership’s Instagram page, settling students’ questions and building excitement for the week.

This year’s homecoming theme is Road to Hoco, and Monday, Oct. 23 is “Destination Disney” where students can wear their best tacky tourist gear for Disney, kicking off the week. Tuesday, Oct. 24 is “Hollywood Hills” and students can dress as their favorite movie and TV show characters. Wednesday, Oct. 25 is “Dallas Rodeo Roundup,” followed by Thursday, Oct. 26 “Neon in Nashville,” where students wear their neon-colored homecoming shirts, which can be bought for $10.00 separately, or free with the purchase of a dance ticket while supplies last. Finally ending it off with Friday, Oct. 27, students wear their best Hagerty merch in their class colors. Seniors wear black, juniors wear blue, sophomores wear gray and freshmen wear white. 

SGA sponsor and Leadership teacher Kari Miller oversees the planning for homecoming, and has been running shirt distribution in the build-up to the week.

“The biggest thing that changed from last year was that we moved outside, which gives us a lot more space to move around. Being right beside our room also makes it easier to restock when supplies run out,” Miller said.

Senior class president Ainsley Pomp has been involved in all of the planning, and like all of Leadership, is excited for the week. “My favorite has to be Neon in Nashville, but all of them are really good.” she said.

Homecoming shirts correspond with the class color, which will be worn on Thursday, Oct. 26, the day of the neon pep rally. Minga ID and copy of the myschoolbucks receipt  are required for pick up of shirts, which is held during both lunches in between the cafeteria and building 6.

Activities are planned for every night during homecoming week. Monday’s “Flick on the 50’s” movie night, featuring the movie Cars, which is exclusive to Hagerty students only and tickets can be bought at gofan.co. Tuesday is the spikeball tournament, open to everyone and free to enter. The spikeball tournament is followed by Wednesday’s powderpuff game and Thursday’s tailgate and glow pep rally, open to Hagerty students only. Friday ends off the week with the homecoming game against Port Orange’s Spruce Creek Hawks and Saturday’s homecoming dance from 7 p.m to 10 p.m. Flick on the 50’s, Powderpuff, and the homecoming game require tickets, which can be purchased for $3, $7, and $9 at gofan.co

The dance, which will be held in the courtyard in front of buildings 6 and 7, runs from 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. No students will be permitted after 8:30 p.m. and all students must be picked up by 10:30 p.m. No supervision will be provided for students that arrive or stay later than 30 minutes after the dance. Tickets, which can be purchased on myschoolbucks, have a capacity of 1,750, and no other tickets will be sold after capacity is reached. 

Upon entering the dance, all students will be wanded by security and provided a wristband that must be worn during the entire duration of the dance. Minga IDs are required to enter the dance. 

Non-Hagerty guest students must check in with the Hagerty student who bought the ticket.  Hagerty students will be held accountable for the behavior of their guests.

Small bags and wristlets are permitted, but bags over six inches will not be accepted. A personal item check will be available for $2, but items are not the responsibility of Hagerty and not locked away. Dance dress code includes dress slacks, dress shirts, suits and ties, semi formal dresses and sneakers. Clothes that will not be permitted include: jeans, polos,  t-shirts and shorts.