The student news site of Hagerty High School

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

In the Moment: a Swift rise to the top

Taylor Swift performing one of her songs during her Eras tour. It is set to be the highest grossing tour in the world.
photo by taylorswift.com
Taylor Swift performing one of her songs during her “Eras” tour. It is set to be the highest grossing tour in the world.

Whether it’s about the highest-grossing tour ever, the re-releases of her previous albums that become celebrated dates for fans or even the surprise announcement of an Eras tour movie coming to theaters in October, there’s no denying that Taylor Swift is on practically everyone’s mind.

In November of last year, Swift announced her sixth concert tour, The Eras Tour, which would be her first concert in five years. The tour is a creatively crafted blend of all of Swift’s albums, some of which had never been performed live.

Not only did she break the internet with this news, but her ticket sales broke Ticketmaster. Millions of fans around the world pulled out their electronics in the middle of work or class, scrambling to type in their credit card number as the brutal fight for tickets began. It seemed like everyone wanted a piece of the pop artist, and they all had something to say about it.

Several months saw no change, and the fans who couldn’t get tickets turned to YouTube and TikTok live to watch footage of the global phenomenon. Those who were lucky enough to get tickets made it a whole spectacle—dressing up in glittery, multicolored outfits inspired by different albums in Swift’s discography, making beaded friendship bracelets with lyrics to trade with other fans, and posing for photos with their friends to post on Instagram with a Taylor Swift reference in the captions. In some states, pre-concert parties were very reminiscent of themed conventions that went on for hours before the show. Fans had costume contests, karaoke hours, free snacks and drinks. It wasn’t just a concert anymore—it was a worldwide celebration of Swift’s talent and a three-hour one at that. 

The constant stream of media coverage and content has led to seemingly everyone claiming to be a Swiftie, bringing stans new and old back to her music. Fans even began to swarm around NYC’s Electric Lady Studios to try and catch a glimpse of her—going as far to crowd her at singer Jack Antonoff’s wedding, where she was attending. While this isn’t a new thing by any means for any celebrity, the resurgence has made some act irrationally, for better or for worse.

On Aug. 31, Swift made a surprise announcement that she would be releasing a concert film of the Eras Tour on Oct. 13, proceeding the conclusion of the first U.S. leg of the tour. Already, many news sites are speculating that the movie could make $100 million in its first weekend, which is about $50 million more than DC Comics’s The Flash, which came out in June. The announcement alone prompted BlumHouse Studios to move the premiere of The Exorcist: Believer up a week to Oct. 6. If you thought the movie was scary, just imagine trying to compete for attention with Taylor—the horror. This sparked many memes online, with fans photoshopping images of the horror movie poster to include Taylor Swift’s zombified form from her “Look What You Made Me Do” music video.

It might seem cheesy, but the love Swifties have for their icon and each other is real. They gather along every time there’s a new release or update—even the beaded bracelets that were being traded at concerts were signs of friendship, a shared love for Swift’s music and message. It’s her fans and her amazing discography that will make her relevant in pop culture’s eyes for generations. Someday, far out into the future, you might not remember how to solve for imaginary numbers, but you’ll probably remember buying your ticket for Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour. The power of Taylor Swift will live on, changing the course of future concerts and fan-bases to come, and that’s the beauty of her music.