Keeping Up with the Clubs: National Honor Society

photo by Abigail Neal

NHS members Sid Rajan, Mia Campese, and Aryan Patel host a group exercise glass for Lutheran Haven residents along with numerous NHS members who took part in the class.

For the last event of the year, National Honor Society volunteered on Saturday at Lutheran Haven retirement home for the first time. 

During the event, students were able to connect with many Lutheran Haven residents outside on the porch of their assisted living facility and offer lemonade and popcorn to residents as a conversation starter. Students also got the opportunity to lead a group exercise class for residents and invite residents to play bingo led entirely by students. 

The National Honor Society is a group of students who get invited and accepted for upholding the four core pillars of NHS: character, leadership, scholarship and service. To uphold the requirements of NHS, students are required to attend community service events each semester and get the necessary hours to remain in good standing. 

Events planned by the NHS board this year included volunteering at places like The Mustard Seed, Clean the World, Aspire Health and many others. However, this was the first time the group volunteered at Lutheran Haven, which quickly became a favorite. 

“It was a new kind of experience,” senior Mallory Precord said. “NHS has never offered an event like this before and it was really fun getting to know [residents] and hearing some of their stories.”