Myth-busting: college admission offers revoked?

“I heard Ashley has had straight A’s all year but got a B and now she’s dropped from Honors College.”

“Jason told me that he is freaking out because he has a C for the quarter and thinks his admission will be revoked.”

As a senior it is a normal feeling to be nervous about having your college admission affected if you were to “drop the ball” your last semester. Counselors, teachers and parents make it known that once students are admitted, it is not time to relax. Seniors have to keep their academics up because even if they already got accepted, slacking off can cause the university to reconsider their application.

There can be major consequences if a student were to give up their last semester because they have already been accepted. This includes every senior’s worst nightmare: getting their admission revoked.

Some may make it seem that the smallest flaw in a student’s final semester could get their admission offer taken away. After interviewing the admissions offices of University of South Florida, University of Florida, Florida State University and University of Central Florida, there is a common theme that propels them to reconsider offers.

“Students can get their admissions taken away for a variety of reasons,” Andrew Telatovich, associate director of in-state recruitment at the University of South Florida said. “It could be because they have failed a core class, lost requirements that were previously needed for admission, or changed their schedule.”

If a student were to fail a core class that is needed for credits or admission, this would cause the university to reconsider. Despite this, there is no need to freak out if a grade drops during the middle of the year. Universities only see grades when students apply, and after graduation when final transcripts are sent. A bad grade on a math test is no reason for major stress. It will not ruin the future, unless that grade is carried to the end of the year.

Additionally, if a student were to say there were going to take three AP classes and four honors classes when applying, but ended up changing their schedule and taking all standard, this is something that would cause the university to reconsider their admission offer. Students have to keep up with what was promised on the application, because that is what got them accepted.

Getting admission revoked is not only based off of academics, though. At UCF, there is a separate office that looks at high school conduct issues and legal issues with law enforcement. If a student were to get arrested after getting accepted, that office, which is at all universities, reviews the case and decides whether or not it is something worth withdrawing the acceptance.

According to Kate Sundquist on the college vine blog, in the fall of 2009, 22 percent of colleges said they had revoked their admission offer from a student. She adds that it is safe to say that with the increase of social media use and popularity, this number has at least remained constant if not risen.

Although getting admission dropped seems like a myth that teachers, guidance counselors, and parents engrave in seniors’ brains, it is not. Although it is not something that happens often, it can happen, so make sure to keep core class grades high and maintain the academic requirements that you applied with to avoid this issue, because it could severely alter your future.