School hires new security officer

photo by Holly Smyers
Security officer Sharell Green canvases the campus, making sure all is in order. To keep extra eyes on the students and staff, security officers are present on campus.

It takes many people to keep a school safe. Some staff members monitor the courtyard for students. Some sit outside during lunch periods to help students in need. Some even drive golf carts around the campus.

In February, the school welcomed Sharell Green to the staff to work as a security officer. Green was born and raised in South Florida, where she worked for Miami-Dade public schools for 16 years before relocating in 2022. Before getting the job, she was in the police academy training to be a corrections officer.

The job of a school security officer requires Green to be on patrol around the campus, making sure students are being safe. Green works with administration and the two school resource officers. Due to the School Resource Officer Program, every SCPS school is required to include a deputy sheriff or officer on every campus. This program assists administration by making sure that the school is as secure and orderly as possible, and Green has direct contact with the SROs.

“In the area that I’m in, it’s my job to keep the danger from coming inside,” Green said.

Throughout the day, Green is required to monitor the perimeter of the school, making sure that students have their parking passes, as well as checking the backpacks of students suspected of bringing items that pose a danger to themselves or others. 

“She’ll help with the process,” school administration manager Jason Maitland said. “She keeps our eyes and ears open for the safety of the campus.”

Despite having two SROs and another security officer on campus, the position is not without its challenges. Green primarily works her shift in the parking lot, only stepping inside the campus during the second lunch, which makes it difficult to keep an eye on the entire student population.

“What’s challenging is that I can’t really help the students beyond the position that I’m in,” Green said.

Because of the nature of her job, Green can’t let her personal feelings get in the way of her work. She does her best to give students the care they need to keep them safe.

“I’m not here to judge [students] or give them a hard time,” Green said. “I’m just here to do my job, which is to protect them and keep them out of harm’s way.”