This or That: September

Students pick favorites for this month’s competing trends
  • Stanley Cups and Hydroflasks, the two giants of the self-insulating water bottle market, are both popular, with Hydroflasks as the traditional standard and Stanley Cups as the newest trend. Which cups do students prefer to use?

Photo by L. Overton

Stanley Cup: 35% 

The 110 year-old water bottle was made by William Stanley Jr. in 1913, and was used by seamen and cattle workers to stay hydrated. The Stanley cup is a double insulated water bottle that can keep drinks cold up to 11 hours and ice for 2 days. It was originally used for flying with the pilots on B-17s during World War II and carrying human organs.

“I like Stanley Cups because they have better handles, which makes it easier to carry, and they also have really good thermal qualities to keep things cool or warm.” Aiden Mahoney, 9 

photo by L. Overton

Hydroflask: 65% 

Hydroflask bottles come with double-walled vacuum-insulated technology that can maintain the temperature of your hot drinks for up to six hours and cold drinks for up to 24 hours. Condensation is also not a worry with these bottles.

The bottle, made in 2009, rose to the trending charts in 2012. It too was originally used for flying with the pilots on B-17s during World War II, and accompanied deep-sea explorers.

“Hydroflasks have the topside handle, which helps with on-the-go carrying, and they are newer and in trend. Their color range is also higher.” Reagan Plumtree, 11

• In “The Summer I Turned Pretty”, a show exclusively on Amazon Prime, two brothers, Conrad and Jeremiah, fight for the attention of Isabel, “Belly.” Who do you think Belly should choose?

photo by  Creative Commons

Team Jeremiah: 57%

Bestfriends with Belly since childhood, “golden retriever” personality and very flirtatious, Jeremiah is the highlight of the friends to lovers troupe.

“I’m team Jeremiah because I just feel like he and Isabel have a strong connection, which would go for a really strong relationship.” Marilyn Ma, 12

photo by Creative Commons

Team Conrad: 43%

Straight-A student, star athlete and Belly’s crush since childhood, Conrad is a smart and charismatic character that everyone is attracted to.

“Team Conrad because he and Isabel look cuter together. It’s just a visual vibe for me.” Alexis Williamson, 10

• Instagram and Tiktok are the main social media platforms used by teenagers. With entertaining, short videos, product posts or trends, Instagram and Tiktok have become magnets of social media. Which platform do students use more?

photo by Microsoft Apps

Instagram: 66%

Instagram was first released October 6, 2012 and recently updated to include short videos called reels. Although this update is very recent, Instagram is commonly used by students and clubs.

“You can watch Instagram Reels without sound, and it’s convenient for the people who don’t have headphones in the middle of school.” -Christian Rivera, 11

photo by Creative Commons

Tiktok: 34%

Tiktok released in 2017 and merged with the app Musical.ly after parent company Byte Dance bought the app in 2018. Since, then the app has risen in popularity with billions of users around the world.

“Tik Tok isn’t that good of an app, but the low quality videos are usually the funniest. Also, [it’s] a good place for good memes.” Dylan Britton, 12