Boys volleyball beats Lake Mary

photo by Isaiah Macri
Setter Caden Houston sets up middle blocker Kellen Woolm to hit the ball. Houston consistently fed Woolm throughout the night.

In their third matchup of the season, the boys volleyball team defeated Lake Mary 3-0. The match was held on April 9, the team won the first and second sets 25-22 and the third set 25-19. The boys had previously lost to them March 8. Going into the game the team had a record of 10-8, 0-1 in the district. The team was led by setter Caden Houston who had 27 assists and outside hitter Marcel Clemens who had 14 kills. Houston is averaging 4.8 assists per set, and has 270 for the season. He is ranked 25th in the state for assists. Houston’s serve percentage for the game was 100 percent. Defensive specialist Seth Davis also contributed to the win with three assists and nine serve receives.

The team started off the first set strong, however, it was close until the end of the set. Houston was able to set up outside hitter Marcel Clemens with a nicely placed hit allowing Clemens to increase the team’s lead to 3 points and finish off the opening set. The team struggled at the start of the second set but managed to pull out a win with the same score. as the first. The third set was the team’s biggest win of the night. A block by middle blocker Kellen Woolm boosted the team’s spirit and allowed them to finish off the match strong.

We were on a losing streak so we were trying to bring it back up, we had some good wins in the tournament, it helped us get back on pace.

— Seth Davis

The win follows a two game losing streak with a 2-1 loss against Spruce Creek and a 2-0 loss against Lake Howell, who are ranked fourth in the state. Following the losses the team played in a tournament in which they beat Lake Mary.

“We were on a losing streak so we were trying to bring it back up,” Davis said. “We had some good wins in the tournament, it helped us get back on pace.”

The team will face Lyman for their next game on April 11. They have beaten Lyman previously this season in a neutral tournament game with a score of 2-1, winning the first set 25-21, losing the second set 25-17 and finishing off the Greyhounds in the third set 15-10.

bvb1
Outside hitter Marcel Clemens jumps up to hit the ball. This would result in a kill for Clemens and a point for the team.
8 item(s) « of 8 »