Boys soccer ties Oviedo

photo by Kayla Rrapi
Forward Sebastian Rubio fights Oviedo’s defense for the ball. The boys varsity soccer team tied with Oviedo 2-2.

Midfielder Max Carrasco drove the ball to Oviedo’s goal and got to the corner. He crossed his defender and assisted the ball to midfielder Tadeo Maggio who scored the goal, tying the game, 1-1.

“The goal really affected our momentum and let us control a good portion of the game,” Maggio said. “It also made it easier for us to get our next goal.”

Early in the second half, midfielder Muhammad Mutawe scored the team’s second goal making the final score of the game 2-2. After scoring, Mutawe did a back flip to celebrate.

“It felt unimaginable to score that goal,” Mutawe said. “I was so happy I was able to put us in the lead for a while against our rivals. The first thing that came to mind afterwards was to do a flip.”

Oviedo scored their first goal off of a penalty kick in the first couple of minutes. After Hagerty scored Oviedo started off with the ball and it went back and forth for a couple minutes until the half ended.

Starting off the second half goalie Josh Shyy made a save off a header from a corner kick and punted the ball down the field. 

“We gave up an early goal, so, to tie the game up was great. We realized we could actually hang with these guys instead of struggling against them,” Shyy said.

The score was 2-1 with 30 minutes to go and Hagerty started on defense. Oviedo quickly drove the ball down the field to try and tie up the game, but Hagerty was able to hold them off. For 20 minutes the team held their formation and did not let Oviedo get an attempt at the goal.

“It came down to communication,” Shyy said. “In the beginning we came out with a set formation but they scored on us early so we changed it. Everyone was able to step up.”

Eventually, Oviedo was able to find a hole in the defense and get another point on the board, making the score 2-2.

“We need to be able to finish a game,” Shyy said. “I believe that will come into play later in the season when we play more games as a team.”

The team’s next game will be against Winter Springs on Nov. 15. They now have a record of one win and one tie.

“We were able to keep our composure throughout the entire game,” Maggio said. “ In high stake games like Oviedo it is important we keep our heads straight and play tactically.