Girls lacrosse continues winning ways

photo by James Lopez

Sophomore Stacy Glover squeezes past two defenders to gain possession. The team would blow out the Lions 18-3.

Junior Eddie Wilkins meets in the middle of the field with Oviedo’s center for the draw. After trailing Oviedo at the start of the game, the girls lacrosse team slowly takes control of the game. At the sound of the whistle, Wilkins launches the ball in the air, which goes toward Oviedo’s side of the field. It looks like an easy Lions ball until sophomore Stacy Glover jumps in front of a defender to catch the ball which sparks another score to stretch the lead. 

On Wednesday, the girls lacrosse team traveled to Oviedo, looking to keep on pushing toward the postseason. The team crushed the Lions, winning 18-3, scoring over 15 points for the seventh time this season.

“I don’t think it’s been a surprise at all, we all know the potential that we have moving from last year to this year,” Lange said. “People who had injuries they’re back and honestly, our team is working really well together this year.”

The team was led by Wilkins, with seven draws controlled, and senior Catie O’Connor, with two goals and two assists. However, many other players contributed to the win. Whether that was passes going upfield to Lange or the defense providing help to goalie Emma Rassmussen when Oviedo made an attempt to score. Glover was a crucial player as well, recovering most of the balls from the draw although she sustained an injury toward the end of the match.

With their blowout win, the team has gotten rid of almost any signs of the season’s slow start. The girls began the season with a three game losing streak, but turned it around against Winter Springs and never looked back. Currently, the team is on a nine game winning streak. 

Last season, the team lost to Vero Trail 14-3 in the regional final with little playoff experience. However, this season, the varsity roster all has playoff experience from the last two seasons, leading the team to be some of the favorites to make the state championship game. 

The streak was broken at the Milton High School Legacy Cup, where they lost to Milton (Georgia) 15-5 in the second game after beating Sacred Heart (Kentucky) in the first game, 6-5.

“We didn’t have any preseason games, which we usually do,” said Lange. Those first three games were pretty brutal because they were some of the hardest teams that we were going to play this year, so I 100% think that if we played those same teams again, we would win this time.”

The team’s next game will be at Sam Momary Stadium on Thursday, March 30, looking to finish the season with another win streak going into the playoffs. Tickets can be found on gofan.co.