Girls soccer takes title after penalty kicks


photo by Lucho Torres

Goalie Aryana Rosenblum saves the ball in overtime as Timber Creek inches closer to the goal. The team took home the district title against Timber Creek after scoring three penalty kicks.

After 90 minutes of regulation time, 20 minutes of overtime and nine penalty kicks, girls soccer took home a huge district title Tuesday night, just three days after an upset 2-1 win against Winter Park. 

Going into their district game the team was nervous, knowing they were about to play against undefeated Timber Creek with the district title on the line, a title they had not won since 2014.  

“They are such a strong team, but I also knew what our team is capable of,” left back Mallory Precord said. 

In the final quarter, overtime goalie Aryana Rosenblum tried blocking a goal that went right over her head, afraid it would be the end to the game, but she watched the ball hit the edge of the net and continue traveling out of bounds. 

The first 10 minutes of overtime was a fast-paced battle between both teams, while the last 10 minutes felt like some of the longest minutes before the team kicked their winning penalty kicks. 

During the last five minutes of overtime, Rosenblum stopped a potential goal by Timber Creek in the corner of the net. 

“Towards the end, the whole team started to sort of freak out because once [the game] went into overtime we all knew eventually we’d get to the penalty kicks,” Rosenblum said. 

As overtime ended both teams began preparing to kick their penalties. Timber Creek started off missing their first goal. While the teams took turns with their penalty kicks Hagerty scored their first three penalty kicks from Megan O’Donnell, Brynn Waddell and Olivia Cachet, but missed their fourth kick. After both teams had kicked four penalty kicks each, Timber Creek missed their fifth and final kick attempt. Since Hagerty scored three of their four kicks and Timber Creek scored only two of their five, Hagerty did not need the last kick and won the championship. 

The team’s next game will be at home on Feb. 7 against Creekside, who is ranked sixth in 7A, for the regional quarterfinals.