Not quite room temperature

Senior+Ashley+Sharma+learns+in+her+sixth+period.+The+class+was+cold+and+frigid+so+she+had+to+get+a+blanket+to+be+comfortable.+

photo by Sophie Woodburn

Senior Ashley Sharma learns in her sixth period. The class was cold and frigid so she had to get a blanket to be comfortable.

The one thing Floridians love more than Chick-fil-a is their air conditioning, and when their air conditioning is interrupted, people get heated. This is also true at school. Countless rooms across campus are either exceedingly hot or extremely frigid, especially in building three or building six, the climate is inconsistent.  

“The lobby in front of the auditorium is ice cold. It drops when you go from the auditorium to the theater room by 30 degrees, and no one can tell you why,” said Sophomore Olivia Martin.

Some take the bipolar air conditioning to heart, while others like Martin see it as trivial.

“Everyone in the school has noticed, but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. There’s more important things,” said Martin.

Chances are, most hear someone complaining about the air conditioning and though the climate may not affect the day to day of the majority, some are annoyed by this inconvenience. To solve the issue of cold or warm conditioning, the best come prepared. Most solve this by bringing a sweater, or venting about it to peers.

“It will be cold in my morning classes and then later in the day it gets super hot and I don’t know how to dress,” said senior Melissa Neidhardt.

Dressing for school in the morning is hard enough as it is, especially when dressing for strange temperature changes throughout the day.

“If you don’t really come prepared with the proper clothes, you’re likely going to be uncomfortable. Whenever I get out of class and go outside, I’m always sweating,” said Senior Logan Linares.

Certain rooms are worse than others, like Dance teacher Diane Hazenbank’s room, or even Louis Arps Geometry class in building six. AP Art History teacher Maria Colville’s room is especially cold. 

“Mrs. Colville’s  room is always freezing. She even has blankets in her class because of how cold it is,” said Neidhardt. 

Coville is not the only teacher who has blankets available for students. History teachers Zach Capparell and Dali Stires, Chemistry teacher Kim Danseraeu and many other teachers as well. Stires even has a heater in front of her class to help warm up the environment and keep kids in focus so they do not have to worry about the air conditioning.

“If you think you’re cold, I teach in this everyday,” said Stires.

Other than the fact that it is just “annoying,” Martin and many other students think that the cold can obstruct the ability to focus, and the “frequent complaining can be a distraction in class.” said Martin.

“It is important to understand that controlling an entire building’s temperature and making it the same all around is a lot harder than many may think,” said Martin. 

But this air conditioning issue is not a recent debacle, it has been a concern of the student body for quite some time. At this point, students are pretty used to the extreme hot and cold classrooms.