Drama presents pasta preview ahead of districts

A showcase of talents ahead of the November theater districts.
photo by Elise Nash
Seniors Ansley Howell and Carter Wegman star in the thespian troupe’s one act performance of “The Complete History of Theatre (abridged).” Their district competition takes place from Nov. 9-11.

Thespian Troupe 6885 enjoyed a pasta preview Monday, Oct. 30, showcasing their talents for the district festival, which will be held Nov. 9-11 at Lyman High School. The pasta preview, christened the Thespys, was a way to show parents the acts that the theater students will perform at districts.

“All of the thespians have been working hard to prepare for the district festival, and everyone is excited for it,” theater teacher Jamaal Solomon said. 

Thespian president Julia Register is one of the many students who is performing at districts, and was present at the preview on Monday night. 

“Pasta preview was successful, I wish more people came out to support us, but we always support each other,” Register said.

Drama districts were most important to the group of seniors performing, knowing it would be their last district competition.

“As a senior, I can feel the pressure to do well at my final districts, but it’s also freeing to know that the pressure will be gone at the end,” senior thespian Carter Wegman said. 

As a senior, I can feel the pressure to do well at my final districts, but it’s also freeing to know that the pressure will be gone at the end. I’m going to miss the bonds I get to make with other schools and the memories we get to make along the way.

— Carter Wegman

Some of the acts include an acting ensemble scene from Justice for Pluto by Barry Webster, to be performed by juniors Dynali Weerakoon, Justin Hazelwood and Jess Damiano.

“My Own Best Friendfrom the musical Chicago is to be performed by Register, senior Madelynn Roberts, senior Carter Wegman and junior Wynn Taylor, as well as musicals and a large group musical selection. 

Senior thespian Rebekah Reyes is heavily involved in districts, doing a small group musical,  a one act, and a large group musical. She is also included in making a theater market design.

“The preview went well,” Reyes said. “It helped us show how well we work together as a troupe.”

Although the pasta preview is mostly to help members practice for districts, it also encourages parents to donate to the theater department. However, the main purpose of the pasta preview is to showcase the acts that thespians have worked hard on and plan to bring to districts. With all of the different acts: solo musicals, monologues, duets, duet acting, ensemble acting, set design, costume design, stage management, small groups and large group acts, performers had a lot to prepare. Members who scored well enough would qualify for states in March, and most hoped that districts would not be their last competitive performance.

“It’s definitely bittersweet. I’ve been involved with thespians since seventh grade and for this to be my last festival is sad to think about. I’m excited to give my all this week and make it the best one yet,” Register said.