Crime scene analyzer guest lectures to Forensics

photo by Lillie Overton
Crime Scene Analyzer Allison Boza visits forensic classes on Wednesday, April 24. Boza discussed her daily life as a CSA, as well as how she is able to deal with difficult scenes.

A crime scene analyzer’s job can be pretty tough, so sometimes Allison Boza takes a break from her stomach-turning tasks by looking at some pictures of kittens, horses and even a snake that she’s seen on the job. Boza shared this and plenty of other facts about her job when she guest lectured for the Forensic Science classes on April 24. She was there to walk students through the process of what is a crime scene analyzer, what she does and the stories that she gets while on the job.

“I wanted to help students understand what goes into a career in the forensics field,” Boza said. “But it’s important for them to know that we are not like the TV shows that we all watch. The CSI effect is real, and I’m here to tell you it’s nothing like what you see on TV.”

The qualifications to become a crime scene investigator include having a bachelor’s degree in forensic science. While it isn’t required, a master’s degree in forensic science is helpful. 

“They give you a work van that is stocked with everything a CSA will need, like photography equipment and tarps. You can take it home,” Boza said. “You need to be able to maintain it and have a good driving record to have the van.” 

But why would students take forensics? What interests them about forensics and the scientific study of death?

“I learned that you have to have a lot of mental and physical mobility,” senior Alayni Malkiewicz said. “I was impressed and respectful of her because it’s cool that she could come and do that.”

Senior Bradley Barton also took away more from Boza than just the physical requirements. 

“I learned a lot about the field, both as a whole and some of what goes into the job of being in the field,” Barton said. “It is mentally and sometimes physically demanding, but at the end of the day, it’s a job that needs to be done, and not everyone is made out to be in the forensic science field.” 

Forensic Science teacher Mark Benedict hopes that students can use the information later in life.

“My hope is that students take what they learned from Boza like what crime scene analysis is and see that it applies in real life scenarios.”