Bassel’s Paddle

Junior Bassel Abualsamid wins gold in pickleball
photo by Dr. Ahmad Abualsamid
Junior Bassel Abualsamid shows off his Special Olympics gold medal. Bassel recently earned gold for pickleball at the games.

Since 1972, Special Olympics Florida has been giving opportunities for those with intellectual disabilities to compete in athletic events. For some it is just a way to stay active, for junior Bassel Abualsamid, it is a pathway to success.

Bassel and his sister Asia were born with a condition called Fragile X syndrome which causes intellectual challenges. Bassel’s father, Dr. Ahmad Abualsamid, heard about the Special Olympics while living in Illinois and decided to take Bassel to participate.

“We went there for an event, and we didn’t realize that it was a year-round program,” Abualsamid said.

Bassel and his family moved to Florida 10 years ago, and after about a year of being in the state, they discovered the Florida Special Olympics. Abualsamid enrolled both of his children into the year-round program in which they move from one sport to the next after a training period. Over time, Bassel would get the opportunity to participate in team sports like softball as well as individual events like swimming.

Eight years later, Bassel has found a lot of success in the Special Olympics program, winning a gold medal at the county, regional—which is seven Central Florida counties—and state levels. Bassel has won gold in cycling and bowling, silver in stand-up paddleboarding, and most recently, gold and silver in pickleball, the event he enjoys the most.

“I think it’s amazing, it’s the best sport,” Bassel said.

The Special Olympics provides a great environment for those with disabilities to explore their passion for sports, but it requires effort, dedication and commitment from both the players and the family. 

“It’s a lot of work, for these things you drive all over the place. It’s also all volunteer run,”  Abualsamid said.

Abualsamid volunteered to coach pickleball and swimming, as well as helping out with cycling and bowling.

“It’s a whole family commitment, but it’s worth it. The kids are amazing, they all have their own gifts and talents,” Abualsamid said, “They’re all special in their own way, it’s just amazing to see them excel and do things they couldn’t do otherwise. The Special Olympics is just amazing.” 

Bassel appreciates his teammates, opponents, and the people who help to make the Special Olympics possible the same way they appreciate him.

“Everyone did really well, and the coaches did an amazing job.” Bassel said.

After winning in pickleball, Bassel and his father are moving on to training for the upcoming cycling event. Bassel and his sister are the two fastest Special Olympics cyclists in the state for their age group and division, and are striving to compete at the national level if all goes well. Hagerty does not allow them to practice on the track, so Bassel and his father travel to Lake Marry or Winter Park High School to train. When they do not feel like taking a timely drive, they practice in the parking lot between cars.

“It feels great. He’s happy, and if he’s happy, I’m happy.”

— Dr. Ahmad Abualsamid

“It would be amazing if the school would let a Special Olympics athlete and his sister practice on the track so he can cycle safely and keep excelling,” Abualsamid said.

Perhaps the biggest benefit of participating in the Special Olympics is not winning medals, but the relationships that are created, and made stronger through the practices and competition. It provides an opportunity for those with disabilities to experience the emotions of victory and defeat in a structured environment, and see their hard work pay off.

“It feels great. He’s happy, and if he’s happy, I’m happy,” Abualsamid said.

Bassel participating in stand-up paddle boarding for Special Olympics Florida. He would take home a silver medal. (photo by DR. Ahmad Abualsamid)

Bassel’s determination and easygoing nature are evident even outside of sports. After transferring to Hagerty from a private school for those with disabilities in the second semester last school year, he fit right in with his peers.

“He fit right in when he first came. He’s got great manners, he treats everyone with respect, and his classmates like him. He’d never been on a big campus like this and he adjusted easily.” Bassel’s teacher, Darlene Mellot said.

Bassel does not plan on stopping his athletic career after he turns 18. The Special Olympics has divisions for children, teens and adults. Bassel plans to continue participating, and winning for as long as he can.