The student news site of Hagerty High School

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

School partners with Teddy Gram Direct for a holiday fundraiser

Teddy Gram Direct allows ESE students to acquire skills for post-secondary employment. In partnership with Hagerty, Teddy Gram Direct set up a fundraiser that will allow ESE students in campus to have a similar work experience/
photo by Teddy Gram Direct

To welcome the holiday season, Hagerty announced the start of a holiday fundraiser that would last from Nov. 6 to Dec.7. The fundraiser, in partnership with Teddy Gram Direct, will give 15% of sales to the school in order to support Exceptional Student Education on campus. 

Founded in the fall of 2020, Teddy Gram Direct was created by Seminole County Public Schools to help students with disabilities acquire skills needed to maintain employment. 

“By having a district-based enterprise at Teddy Gram Direct, the SCPS Transition Team is able to target skills needed individually for students,” Transition Services Area Administrator Felicia Naidu said.

We wanted ESE students to be able to interact with their peers and be part of events that are going around the community while learning skills they would later need in the workplace.

— Erin Mandell, assistent principal

Teddy Gram Direct contacted assistant principal Erin Mandell to set up a fundraiser that would allow students in the ESE program to interact and simulate a business on campus. 

“We wanted ESE students to be able to interact with their peers and be part of events that are going around the community while learning skills they would later need in the workplace,” Mandell said.

At the end of the fundraiser, Teddy Gram Direct will send the stuffed animals that were purchased by students, staff and the community. Then, ESE students will be able to count, sort, package and distribute the stuffed animals on campus. 

“The overall goal is for Teddy Gram Direct to provide students with disabilities the opportunity to learn transferable work skills,” Naidu said. “We partner with SCPS schools to allow them the opportunity to earn money for their schools.”

Many of the school’s ESE students already participate in a work environment outside of school that will prepare them for post-secondary employment. The money acquired from the fundraiser will be used to help these students pay for uniforms and other equipment required for their work.

For the holiday fundraiser, a 16 inch stuffed animal is one for $18 or two for $30 and an 8 inch stuffed animal is one for $12 or two for $20. The last day to order will be Dec. 7.