First pep rally tests new permission form process

photo by Greta Carrasco
Students converse in the cafeteria during the activity period. Due to parent permission form requirements, students without signed forms had to sit-out from the pep rally.

After weather and scheduling delays, the first pep rally of the year was held on Friday, Oct. 6, celebrating the football team’s home game against Harmony. Routines from the pep teams, music from the band and appearances from the fall varsity sports teams made the pep rally’s “comeback” share energy and enthusiasm throughout the student body, but one thing was missing: over 500 students.

Implemented this year, new Parental Rights Laws have required permission forms for all student activities, including the pep rallies. For students who were unable, or simply forgot, to have their parents sign the form, the pep rally was not an event they could look forward to.

“My brother forgot to get his form signed and my parents had to go through a whole process just so he could sit there and watch it,” senior Gabriella Jones said. “I get the idea of the forms, but it’s just a hassle.”

According to the permission form feedback, 396 students with a sixth-period did not have their permission forms signed. In addition, at least 106 students who are off-campus for their sixth period did not turn in a form. With a student body of just over 2,000 students, almost 25% of the student body was unable or simply chose not to attend the pep rally.

“I opted out—I just didn’t feel like going,” junior Alex Guitierrez said. “It was my own decision—my parents are fine with me attending anything.”

For many, the permission forms serve as another chore to add to their “to-do list,” leading some to simply forget to sign the form. Similarly, students involved in many campus activities or clubs have been swarmed with different forms and signatures, making it hard to keep track.

“I have to have my parents sign a new form for each club I have to go to, it’s hard to keep track,” Jones said.

Although there were worries from the administration and teachers over excusing only students with permission to the rally, the process seemed to go smoothly. Before letting students out of their classrooms to go to the gym, sixth-period teachers were emailed a list of all students eligible to attend, with those not listed being sent to the cafeteria. However, no administration was posted to take attendance for those entering the rally or cafeteria, opening the possibility of some finding their way into the gym. With assigned staff members posted around the lunchroom, the hundreds of remaining students were held for the last hour of the school day, an environment some seemingly preferred to that of the rally.

Despite the pep rally being lower in numbers, U.S. government teacher and spirit leader for the rally, Matthew Malkovich, made up for the loss of attendees, screaming cheers of “Let’s beat Harmony.” The next glow pep rally is scheduled for Oct. 26 to mark the Homecoming game against Spruce Creek.