The student news site of Hagerty High School

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

New Kidd on the block

After teaching at local elementary schools for 22 years, Early Childhood Education teacher Kristen Kidd joins staff
photo by Aryn Overton
Early Childhood Education teacher Kristen Kidd helps students with individual instructions. After teaching at Hamilton and Geneva elementary schools for 22 years, Kidd now joins Hagerty staff to teach entry ECE courses.

As a new day starts, Kristen Kidd drinks her morning coffee—waking up to the sound of her dogs’ barks and her agenda for the day. After taking her dogs for a walk, Kidd gathers her plans and papers for her students, ready to enter a new day in the classroom. Despite her 22 years of teaching, Kidd now adds a new step into her routine this year—a job at Hagerty High school. 

Previously working in sales, Kidd’s close friend and fellow teacher, Heather Ambrosi, convinced her to sign up for the newly opened early childhood position—a decision that has reconnected Kidd to her love of education.

Working with children and teenagers within many different roles, Kidd’s passion for education began at an early age. While babysitting for neighbors in high school is a common first-job experience, Kidd transformed this gig into a future career path. Working as a counselor at  summer camps and a few daycare centers in college, Kidd has always found purpose in children’s education.

Kidd’s teaching also reaches back to Geneva and Hamilton elementary schools. She left Hamilton to be closer to home, and left Geneva because she was interested in doing something different than working in sales. In the end, her love of education won out, making her still want to work in ECE.

The early childhood education program teaches students foundational skills for preschool teaching. The courses specifically highlight how to interact and teach younger children, and students even make lesson plans. 

“Hagerty is very professional and welcoming, and I look forward to all of the great memories I hope to make here. I am also looking forward to meeting more students,” Kidd said. “I’m ready to work until retirement here.” 

Kidd enjoys seeing former students, especially ones who have continued in education. Mentoring former students and seeing them active in their teaching careers is one of Kidd’s greatest pleasures—a confirmation of her decision to continue teaching.

“It was really great to see a student continuing their love of teaching and education,” Kidd said. “I can’t wait to help students better themselves to be role models for kids of all ages and [I] hope to continue to see former students continuing into a career of education.”