In The Moment: movie dress up

Challengers+hit+theaters+April+26.+Fans+dressed+up+in+tenniscore+outfits+to+see+the+movie%2C+following+the+trend+of+dressing+to+the+aesthetic+of+new+films.+
photo by mgm.com
“Challengers” hit theaters April 26. Fans dressed up in ‘tenniscore’ outfits to see the movie, following the trend of dressing to the aesthetic of new films.

As someone who had a childhood flair for dramatics, I used to dress in theme for any exciting event. I dressed up in my sparkly Elsa dress to see “Frozen on Ice,” I wore a bright popstar outfit to my “Barbie: Princess and the Popstar” camp, and sometimes I would even dress up as a princess just to look at the toy aisle in Target. However, as the years went by, the days of dressing up grew less and less frequent, and for the most part, I didn’t stick to a specific theme unless I was going trick-or-treating.

The internet has made sure that dressing up isn’t just for Halloween anymore. After the rise of streaming services like Netflix and Disney+, there was a large decline in movie theater attendance. Local theaters needed a way for people to get excited again about seeing movies, and what better way than to make a trend out of it? Now, seeing a movie is a whole event, complete with themed outfits and costumes to fit alongside the films in question.

This trend really took off last July, when Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” hit theaters, and crowds of fans dressed up in their finest pink outfits to see the movie. These ‘Barbie-core’ outfits were all over every social media platform, and the lines to take photos outside the theater could’ve stretched all the way to Barbieland.

This is hardly the only movie release that has sparked fun, elaborate costumes and outfits. Even before “Barbie” it was “Minions: The Rise of Gru,” sparking the hashtag ‘gentleminions’ to showcase fans dressed up in fancy suits and minion-themed apparel as they entered the theaters. After those movies, many Marvel fans dressed up in costumes to see “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” and in October, theaters were flooded with “Five Nights at Freddy’s” fans dressed up in intricate costumes to replicate the animatronics in the franchise. 

The newest movie to latch on to this trend was Luca Guadagnino’s “Challengers,” a tennis drama starring Zendaya as the female lead character. The movie was released April 26, and thanks to the marketing and cast, the movie has been capturing the interest of the internet, sparking a lot of excitement. The hashtag ‘Tashimademewearit,’ inspired by Zendaya’s character Tashi Duncan, has been making its rounds on Instagram, as people dress up in tennis outfits to see the movie. I was among the hundreds of others who dressed up in ‘tenniscore’ for the film, and it was a lot of fun to see everyone else’s outfits. It felt like I was a part of a fancy club with a preppy dress code, and matching the aesthetic of the movie was a special experience that only enhanced my enjoyment.

Still, a question remains. Why do we like this trend so much? What is it about dressing up for the movies that has the internet in a chokehold? 

This trend has made seeing movies less of a casual event, allowing for people all over the world to share their creativity with others. So many people online can engage with others over their shared excitement for various films, and it can be an entertaining experience to see. It’s reminiscent of how Taylor Swift fans made friendship bracelets to trade with other fans at her concert—it’s fun. 

At the end of the day, this trend is a great way to get others excited about seeing different movies, all while getting out of the house in the process. It’s a lot cheaper than going to a theme park, or a concert, but still allows for a nice experience that people can share with their friends or family. The trend surely isn’t going away any time soon. So I’ll see you in your Marvel getup this summer at “Deadpool & Wolverine.”