Minga put into action

photo by Rachelle English

For the first time since its introduction, students and teachers are actively using the app and its hall pass feature as a new way of student travel and transportation.

Since the introduction of the Minga app at the beginning of the second semester, it was just a presence on everyone’s devices, maybe shown once or twice in exchange for a Husky buck. Since then, a new hall pass system is being piloted throughout the school using the app.

Minga was introduced as a new form of student identification, as opposed to physical IDs, with hopes of aiding in safety and transportation. After its initial introduction, not much was done with it schoolwide, but now, teachers like English teacher Sarah Bearss and TV Production teacher Donna Parker have been chosen to utilize the system in their classrooms. Currently, select classrooms are piloting the system to test its effectiveness and gauge its capabilities. 

The new Minga system has the ability to be more consistent, accessible and effective for the school as a whole,” Bearss said.

According to School Administration Manager Jason Maitland, the reason for the sudden usage is for the safety of the school. When creating a hall pass using Minga, teachers can set specific time limits for how long a student can be out of class and can set it according to where they go, like the bathroom or another teacher’s classroom. Some may have concerns of privacy invasion, but that is not administration’s goal.

We are not GPS tracking kids across campus. We are just keeping track of who is out of class, where their destination is and how long they’re out of class,” Maitland said.

Some teachers feel that using the app is a step in the right direction for the good of the school and internal problems, but thoughts of student pushback is also a factor in the success of the new process.

“I don’t think they’ll receive it very well, but you just have to get used to it,” Parker said.

Reception on the student end has already started to generate positive feedback.

“I feel like [transportation] may be easier to track [since] papers can be lost or used incorrectly,” senior Lindsey Gimbert said.