Sleep is for the weak

Procrastinating the night before can be tough, but not for these dare devils

Home is where many students can go and relax after a long day at school. Some play video games, read or even go outside for the fresh air to enjoy the rest of the day. Others are on social media, posting about their long day of school they had. By the time night hits, students are in bed watching Netflix or are still on social media… and then they remember they had homework to do.

According to Studymode.com, about 66 percent of students have stayed awake all night to complete an assignment.

For some students, procrastinating does not come naturally, but for freshman Krystal Garvey, it is an instinct. Once, she remembered to do a major project at 9:30 p.m. and finished at 3 a.m.

“Ever since middle school, the homework kept getting harder,” Garvey said, “and I did not want to do it immediately when I got home, so that is how I started procrastinating.”

Instead of doing homework, she plays on her piano, goes on her phone or plays with her dogs outside. However, she does point out that she does an assignment in a timely matter if it is important enough.

Procrastination takes time to perfect, and is usually not advised. Junior Nancy Chen, who starts her homework around 8 or 9 p.m. and tries to finish it all by midnight. There are often assignments she forgets about and remembers at the last minute, but she always gets them done.

“I thought my AP Statistic’s homework was due in class today,” Chen said. Out of panic, Chen did her math homework assignment the period before, only to find out it was not due that day.

That same day, Chen finished her history homework while walking to class.

Ever since Chen started middle school, her habit of procrastinating began by waking up one morning and remembering to do an assignment the same day it was due. From then on, procrastinating became part of her routine.

The reason behind Chen’s procrastination is her need to relax after a long day at school. Especially with AP classes, Math Club, Key Club and Robotics. When she gets home, she enjoys down time, and does whatever relaxes her.

There are many reasons for procrastinating on assignments, from being forgetful or just too lazy. Sophomore Amanda Nelson procrastinates due to her love for sleep. Doing an assignment late at night is hard enough, but Nelson just wants to sleep away her homework.

“As the work got harder, I got lazier and didn’t feel like doing it,” Nelson said.

When she finally wakes up, she does her homework and then goes back to sleep. If the homework were to be a major assignment, Nelson would do it on a timely matter, and then catch up on her sleep later.

Most students started procrastinating when they entered into middle school, yet sophomore Lewis Wood started even earlier.

“My parents used to yell at me for procrastinating when I was in elementary school,” Wood said. He also mentions how his parents still yell at him for his habit, though not as much any more.

The closest call Wood had so far in his high school career was an assignment to cook something for Spanish. By the time he realized he needed to start doing the assignment, he ended up going to the store and buying cookies instead to save time, getting the assignment just in time like always.

Everyone has that moment where they could not finish a homework assignment. For a history class, Wood was supposed to create a poster, but instead never turned it in because he did not finish it. He still has not completed it.

A disadvantage Wood said is the stress of doing a homework assignment the night before and calls himself stupid for doing so.

Is it smart to procrastinate? No. Does everyone do it? If they have not already, they will. Take it from these master procrastinators and try not to procrastinate but, if you do, may the homework gods grant you strength to finish.