Theater announces “Anne Frank” cast

Theater teacher, Trevor Southworth, announced The Diary of Anne Frank cast on Wednesday, Sept. 20, in front of his classroom and on the @AnneFrankHHS twitter account after the Monday and Tuesday auditions that took place in the auditorium and were open for anyone with or without acting experience.

Junior Emily Canamella was cast as the lead Anne Frank, alongside with juniors Vangeli Tsompanidis and Abby Wilhelm, who will be playing Otto and Edith Frank.  In addition to the cast roster, the practice schedule was posted outside the classroom and information about practices and theater related events on the productions twitter page.

Students who didn’t get their preferred part are running the technical components of the production such as marketing publicity, managing props and creating costumes. Although not receiving an acting role, freshman Avery Sullivan was put on technical crew.

“I was okay with getting tech or anything,” Sullivan said. “Either way you’re still a part of the show.”

Freshman Amy Joachim prepared for auditions a week prior and is “glad about the results for the cast” as she feels that they will do well at portraying the well-known characters.

“I think it’s a hard subject to tackle, but if done well, it has a lot of potential,” Joachim said.

Rehearsals will begin Monday, Sep. 25, and run until Wednesday, Oct. 25, in preparation for the opening night, taking place Thursday, Oct. 26. The program will start out with a read- through of the play and work towards creating the live adaptation.

“I’m looking forward to the results. This is a very touching show and if it’s performed correctly, which I do believe it will be, then it will affect the audience in many ways when they go home,” freshman Clare Helwig said.