Annual curriculum fair educates students and parents

Modeling and Simulation members show parents and incoming freshmen their awards. The event was organized to explain courses offered.

photo by Emily Cosio

On Thursday, Jan. 26, the school held the curriculum night for students who will enroll for 2017-2018. During the event, students talked to teachers and guidance counselors to ask questions about credits, requirements for graduation, and community service hours.  

The night kicked off in the auditorium with an informational meeting about graduation requirements and extracurricular activities. Following the meeting, students and their parents were able to go to the auxiliary gym to see displays promoting different courses and extracurricular activities. 

Clubs, sports, courses and other extracurricular activities set up booths with information and representatives to explain commitments, prerequisites and general information about each program. The students running the booth also used their power of persuasion to explain the reasons why students should sign up for certain courses.

The person who was in charge of running and organizing the evening was assistant principal Jesse Walker, who is also in charge of creating schedules for teachers and students.

The curriculum fair was organized to inform students, particularly incoming freshmen, about the different courses offered, and explain to them the importance of the classes. This was especially important this year, since a variety of new classes will be offered during the upcoming school year. Some of the classes that haven’t previously been offered include Digital Information, Sports Recreation and Entertainment, Dual-Enrollment Student Success Class, AP US Comparative Government and AP Research.

Students and parents also learned about the accomplishments of the school, including the 95 percent graduation rate. They also have a 70 percent pass rate for AP tests with over 30 courses are offered. Principal Mary Williams emphasized that the school was one of the three high schools with an A rating in Seminole County.

“Hagerty High School prides itself in performing at the highest level possible,” Williams said. “It really does take a village to raise a child.”