JV basketball rocks end of summer scrimmage

Jacob Faulk, MIchael Gibson, Jordan Engel, James Chapman and Lincoln Mitchell stand outside Oviedo High School at a camp. This was one of 4 camps the team attended this summer.

photo by Freddy Engel

JV boys basketball ended the summer with a bang, winning against the freshman by a score of 141-89. The game capped a summer of four camps and over 25 games. Summer was a chance to improve the player’s individual games and also focus on team play.

The players looked forward to the scrimmage because it gave them a chance to showcase the skills they developed over the summer. It also gave the team a chance to view the upcoming and returning talent.

“The benefit of summer basketball is that I get an opportunity to get better in real game situations over the summer,” sophomore Darren Levy said.

The scrimmage lasted about one hour and thirty minutes and ended in a score of 141-89, giving plenty of time for all the players to showcase their skills. This was the last game of the summer that consisted of both teams playing teams that play at the varsity level.

“I prefer playing better talent because it gets me better and helps me prepare to get ready to someday have a chance to play at the varsity level,” sophomore Jordan Engel said.

The team attended camps all over Florida including Rollins, Stetson, Hagerty and Villages. Both teams got visibly better throughout the course of the summer and will be well prepared for tryouts for the regular season in the fall. The scrimmage was the most important game because it showed how far along the teams came in just one month, and they look to carry the same momentum into the regular season.

“[This summer] was a chance to get better and see what we needed to work on,” Engel said.