French class goes to Epcot

photo by Sophie Hill

French students study displays at Disney World’s Epcot on their field trip.

Continuing an annual tradition, nearly 40 students in French II and above went to Epcot on Dec. 11 to indulge in the Parisian culture they had studied for the past semester, as well as gain an understanding of foreign customs.

“The purpose of the field trip was mainly to visit the holidays around the world and see how different countries view their holiday traditions,” French teacher Pamela Lynch said. “Also, to have fun.”

Throughout the day, countries such as Germany, France and Italy held performances commemorating their respective notions of “Santa Clause”. Each region’s performances reflected their perceptions of the Saint, with France featuring a “Père Noël” and Italy observing Befana, a witch who gives gifts to children throughout Italy atop a broomstick.

Students left the school at 9:05 a.m. and stayed at Epcot until 9:30 p.m. While the participants were required to periodically check in with Lynch, they were given the privilege of roaming the amusement park freely. Chaperones were not required for each individual group, but could be brought if it made any member more comfortable.

For many students, the best part of indulging in culture came in the form of a $10 meal. Sophomore Isabelle Lynch enjoyed the cuisine of mainland Japan.

“I still get the udon soup I ate when I was little,” Isabelle said, “It was literally my favorite dish.”

A much more familiar country appeared on Junior Hannah Hockenberry’s favorite dish list.

“The chocolate mousse from the French part was amazing,” Hockenberry said.

Lynch’s purpose for the trip did not go unnoticed by the students amidst the hectic night of fireworks, frolicking and friendship. Many concluded that the trip broadened their horizons in addition to introducing them to holiday traditions around the world.

“Learning the different cultures’ perceptions of Christmas in a fun way with fun friends was great at showing us how different, yet similar the holidays seem throughout the world,” sophomore Ella Plasse said.