Our Take: Disaster is never trendy

Bomb threats and fires are no joke. And yet, with the threat to campus security last November, the fake bomb threat incident at Oviedo in late August, the fire at Winter Springs in early September and the fire in the art room a few weeks ago, it seems school-disrupting hazards are popping up more and more frequently.

Sadly, they are not all accidents.

Students purposefully slow down fire drills, threaten their peers and leave anonymous fake tips about safety concerns just for a little break from their work. In class students dream of bomb threats, during lunch students hope for hurricanes, and before a test, students dare each other to pull the fire alarm.

The idea that students would rather potentially put their life and the lives of their peers on the line rather than receive the education most people in the world are not privileged enough to receive is disheartening.

In the United States, 31 school shootings have occurred since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in December 2012, which left 20 children and six teachers dead. Also, 15 major school shootings, shootings where at least one person was killed and/or injured, have occurred since Sandy Hook, leaving 13 injuries and 16 deaths.

In the wake of the devastating Hurricane Katrina, where 1,800 lives were lost and more than a million people were displaced from their homes, 110 of the city’s 126 public schools were destroyed. As a result, more than 400,000 students were relocated to other cities, or even other states, to attend school.

In California, schools were closed for more than two weeks in the areas most ravaged by wildfires. More than 2,728 homes, businesses, and buildings have been destroyed, forcing students to move across the state to attend schools while their houses were turned to rubble in the hundreds of thousands of acre the fires covered.

Fires, hurricanes, school shootings and other disasters are devastating events that cause massive losses to life, property and quality of living. Purposefully wishing for traumatic catastrophes and believing that the trauma of murder is better than English II worksheets is horrifying.

First world problems are not new. Maybe it is the growing desensitization toward school shootings, but regardless, the skewed perspective this more affluent community has gained is toxic. And while disasters will continue to wreak havoc upon students regardless of whether or not people want them to, students should never dream of tragedies. Fault lines and wildfires are unavoidable, Congress refuses to take steps toward increasing gun restrictions, and the path of major storm systems cannot be changed by the will of man, so why pretend like they can be?