Athletic Department fundraiser helps less fortunate

Student+deposits+clothes+to+benefit+the+less+fortunate.+

photo by Jacob Arthur

Student deposits clothes to benefit the less fortunate.

Prior to the conclusion of first semester, the Athletic Department, led by director Jay Getty, began a fundraiser by collecting clothing donations through a clothes recycling company, Ditto.

Ditto has been in business for a year and a half. The company collects used clothes and sells them into the secondary market to stores like Goodwill or other thrift stores where those in need can purchase goods at a discounted price.

“The thing I like most about the company is that we are giving back to the communities through monetary donations back to the bin host [Hagerty] and through the reuse of the donated clothing,” Ditto employee Rob Marler said.

The athletic department chose the Ditto clothes recycling bins to raise money based upon participation by other Seminole County schools such as Oviedo and Lake Brantley. The bins are located in the parking lot and the fundraiser has no timetable for completion. Donations can take place at any time during the day and Ditto will collect the clothes and shoes every two weeks.

“The clothes recycling bins are such a great idea because they help assist the local community with both a means and a ways to contribute and receive,” Getty said.

While many students have not recognized the clothes recycling bins, some have started to take notice.

“This is so great for our school,” freshman Alexis Zengotita said. “I think donating will make others want to donate, so they can give back to the community and help the less fortunate have clothing they can cherish for a long time.” Zengotita donated a pair of pants last week.