Artists revive furniture for auction

Art+students+bring+old+furniture+alive+with+paintings.+

Art students bring old furniture alive with paintings.

Bright colors and captivating images bring furniture to life for the art department’s silent auction. Art students transformed plain cabinets and tables into works of art for the auction being held to raise money for art supplies.

The process began in late October when art teacher Mary Marinel assigned her fourth and fifth period art classes to form groups, pick out a piece of furniture and artistically transform it. The idea came from an AP workshop she attended where she met another teacher who had done a similar fundraiser at her school.

Students worked on furniture that had been donated by parents, staff and members of the community throughout the year. The majority of pieces had to be sanded down to remove old finishes before they could be painted with acrylics and then glazed.

“I’m very proud of the students for learning how to work on a different kind of medium, how to sand and clean up old furniture,” Marinel said.

Apart from working with the new medium, painting various images on the furniture taught students techniques such as using different sized brushes and shading for depth. Juniors Angelica Rivera and Jaime Conrad designed a small cabinet with the thought of making something they would like to have for themselves.

“When we picked out the furniture, I fell in love with [the cabinet],” Rivera said.

The auction debuted at the Winter Fest on Saturday, Jan. 31, and one-half of the pieces acquired starting bids. All pieces will be on display in the front office and taking bids until Feb. 2.

Featured Furniture

6 item(s)