Athletic department holds 10th annual Husky Trot 5K

Getting up at 6 a.m. on a school day is typically dreadful, but waking up for a 7:30 a.m. race is a much more exciting experience, with less homework and more people. On Feb. 7 students, parents, and the community have the opportunity to participate in the Husky Trot, a 5k race held by the Athletic Department to raise money for spring sports.

If racers register before Feb. 4, a commemorative t-shirt of the 10th annual Husky Trot will be included in the $25 registration fee. Participants can also register online or by mail, the latter of which must be into the front office by Feb. 4. Late registration signups will take place in the competition gym on the day of the race with an additional fee of $15.

“The base profit, which is normally $5,000 to $6,000, is utilized by the HHS Athletic Boosters to support programs on campus with big ticket items like field maintenance,” race organizer Jay Getty said.

The rest of the money will go to individual teams. In addition, runners have the option to select a specific team to pledge their money to at registration.

“It’s fun to go out and compete to support all of our sports,” said junior Andrew Stivers, who won second in his division at last year’s Husky Trot. “It’s a great event to [do with] friends where we get to see who’s the best while we run around a fun course and see the community.”

The route starts in front of the student parking lot, then loops around Westbourne drive, then onto Old Lockwood until it becomes Lockwood, finishing on the track.

Runners can park on campus or in the Carillon elementary parking lot. Parking is first come first serve, so unless participants want to extend their post-race cool down, they should plan on arriving a little early.

Within each division, bobble head trophies will be given to the top 10 runners. Within the student division, and adult divisions, there are both male and female winners.