All-State band tunes student interest

Junior Preston Rupert plays the trumpet during the All-State jazz band performance on Friday, Jan. 13. Rupert played first chair on trumpet and this was his fifth year in the band.

photo by Jennifer Rupert

As he stepped onto the stage of the Tampa Convention Center, junior Preston Rupert focused on his conductor’s directions, ready to begin the show.

“Going in, I felt comfortable because I have done it before,” Rupert said.

Rupert has been a part of the Florida Music Education Association’s All-State band for the past five years, playing trumpet in the jazz band.

The FMEA’s All-State jazz band began rehearsing on Wednesday, Jan. 18, with the concert on Friday night. Despite rehearsals from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday, players were given the music beforehand to practice on their own.

“I received the music about a month before,” Rupert said. “I practiced five to six hours every day during the week and as much as I could manage on the weekends.”

The concert and symphonic bands performed on Saturday, Jan. 14, with a full collection of pieces only written by living composers.

Like Rupert, junior Joshua Heath also auditioned for the All-State band in September, applying to play the bass clarinet in the symphonic band.

“I felt that this year was more straightforward and organized than last year,” Heath said. “I felt pretty confident in my audition, and I was super excited to learn of my acceptance into the band.”

To prepare for the All-State auditions, band directors Brad and Brian Kuperman worked one-on-one with students to see their progress, having each player come in to perform their audition pieces during lunches or after school.

“Some students asked to come in more often to get used to playing in front of others without getting as nervous,” Kuperman said. “Several of the students also worked with private instrument instructors throughout the summer to prepare.”

Throughout the week, the Kupermans were able to evaluate both their students and their own progress, sitting in to listen to rehearsals and attending professional development courses. With Rupert and Heath making it into the jazz and symphonic bands and five other students making the concert band, they believe their hard work paid off.

“All of the concerts were fantastic. There can always be slight improvements, and during a live performance, there are always little things that don’t go as planned,” Kuperman said. “However, given the level of music, and the fact that these ensembles had not ever played together before last week, I was very impressed with each one.”

With improvement in technique, work ethic and dedication, the students also got to better connect with the musicians around them, sharing their love for music.

“Being around amazing talent has inspired me to push past my playing abilities to become better at my instrument,” Heath said.