Winter Week festivities wrap up semester

Sophomores+Josephine+Lim+and+Macy+Drewry+dress+up+on+Thursday+with+holiday+accessories.+This+was+one+of+five+dress+up+days+throughout+the+week.+

photo by Lacee Ginga

Sophomores Josephine Lim and Macy Drewry dress up on Thursday with holiday accessories. This was one of five dress up days throughout the week.

The weather outside may have been frightful, but the styles were so delightful. The annual Winter Week ran from Dec. 5 to Dec. 9, and the dress-up days were announced on Nov. 28, leaving students with a week to prepare themselves and their outfits for the festivities. Feeding off of the excitement of the announcement of the days, activities such as Flick on the 50 and the dodgeball tournament were made public.

The themed days went as follows: Monday was “Merry Monday Morning,” where students could show up in their favorite holiday pajamas, Tuesday was “Ugly Sweater” day, where all were encouraged to wear ugly sweaters, Wednesday was “Santa’s Workshop Wednesday,” where students wore their favorite holiday accessories, Thursday was “Kohn’s Candy Canes,” where underclassmen wore ere encouraged to wear white and while upperclassmen wore red, and Friday was “Hawaiian Holiday,” where students wore their tropical holiday outfits.

Themed days for the week went under the careful consideration of the Student Government Association and its advisors. According to sophomore Amya Waters, the students were assigned to different committees, each working on and planning a specific event, such as a toy drive and dress up days. The dress-up day committee, with members like junior Ainsley Pomp, collaborated creatively with each other to generate enjoyable days.

“They all brainstorm together and work together in order to come up with the ideas [and] we also use ideas from years past,” class of 2025 sponsor Sarah Bearss said.

While creating these days, they kept in mind how accessible some clothing or holiday items were to students. With the creativity of the dress up days, those creating them looked forward to the exceptional from students dressing in Santa outfits to ugly sweaters. 

“Pajama day is probably my actual favorite because teachers aren’t allowed to wear pajamas to school normally, so that’s kind of a treat for me,” Bearss said.

Reception of Winter Week was good on the student end, as well. Feeling inspired by the festivities of the week, senior Emma Barona (not pictured) showed up in her festive outfit on Wednesday, wanting to look like a “modern day Santa.” 

Aside from having the opportunity to dress up for the days, students enjoy Winter Week for different reasons.

“It’s like a break out of what school typically is and it’s festive and brings the holidays [before] winter break,” senior Kathlynn Nguyen said.

Before the stress of finals week, students and staff were able to enjoy the festivities of the school and hopefully the season.