Drama stars at districts

photo by Elise Nash

Junior Ainsley Newton performing in Putnam County Spelling Bee as Olive Ostrovsky. She won Best of show during districts for publicity design.

With 24 Superior ratings, eight Excellent ratings, three Best in Show, two Honorable Mention, one Scholarship, one Best supporting Actress Award and one Best Featured Actress Award, troupe 6885 came home victorious gaining a total of 40 awards. Districts took place at Lyman High School, starting Nov.11 and ending Saturday Nov.13. 

They performed The Real Me by Ken Preuss as their one act, which was the event the whole troupe participated in. The one act was an entire play that students fully produced and prepared for with no help from teachers or directors. The show was a short comedic play with various comical characters and surprise audience members, earning senior Olivia Martin Best Featured Actress award and sophomore Jazlyn Compton Best Supporting Actress award.

Each member of the troupe had to audition for four different shows including Individual Events (IE), Tech events and Performance events, which had categories that could be chosen from within them. Troupe 6885 president and senior Ariah Todriff  won Best of Show for Solo Musical, junior Ainsley Newton won Best of Show for Publicity Design, and senior Marlie Tollefson won Best of Show for Costume Construction while senior Tessa Monroe won honorable mention for Scene Design and junior Marcnell Pierre received honorable mention for Choreography. 

Troupe 6885 had been preparing for districts since May, rehearsing throughout summer and during the beginning of this year.

“There were three grades of students that had never been to districts before because of COVID, so many didn’t know what to expect,” Todriff said, “but everyone worked hard on making sure their pieces were ready to be judged.”

Since district competition happened one week before the winter play, Bone Chiller, drama students had to balance play rehearsals with district competition rehearsal,  organizing practice during 5th period and using their own personal time.

Selected acts from the group will be moving on to states, which will be held in Tampa in March. Preparations for states are similar as those of districts except for the number of events that will be performed. Only six individual events from Hagerty will be chosen to participate in states, the selection coming at a later date.