Girls golf places second in SAC tournament

photo by Shannon Hahn

Sophomore Chelsea Nguyen lines up a birdie putt on hole 13 at Twin Rivers GC.

On Tuesday, Oct. 6, the girls golf competed in their Seminole Athletic Conference tournament at Wekiva Golf Course. The team finished second in the conference leaving them with a record of 7-1, leading up to the District Tournament on Monday, Oct. 12 at Venetian Bay.
Sophomore Chelsea Nguyen (40), senior Haley Bombard (46), and freshman Mia Ladores (52) led the team to their finish in the championship.
“Hagerty was placed in the toughest district in the state with regards to team scoring average,” head coach Tod Benedict said. “Any advancement to regional would be a successful conclusion to a brief season.”
Going into the tournament, practice was limited due to the late season start, and their first two matches of the season were cancelled due to weather but the team was able to finish second.
“The conference tournament was not the outcome I wanted, but it allowed me to know what part of my game I needed to work on,” Nguyen said. “However, I am glad for the experience, as there were still lots of positives I could take from the tournament that will give me confidence for the upcoming district tournament on Monday.”
Coach Benedict noticed this year’s senior leadership, and how it has been the key to their success as well as the steady play of Bombard and the return of state finals participant Nguyen leading the way.
“I was lucky this round to play with some amazing girls that were the sweetest people which made it so much easier to stay in a good mental state,” Bombard said.