Are you still watching?

Chanson Cadet, Staff Reporter

Grey’s Anatomy, Tiger King, New Girl, Gilmore… junior Lillian Jacques-Baker has always been a binge-watcher. But with quarantine keeping everyone indoors students have relied on binge-watching to keep themselves entertained.

“ [Before] I would binge shows but definitely not this many and not this fast,” Baker said. “Staying home just makes it a lot easier to watch TV because you are on your own schedule and not worrying about getting up at six a.m.”

Students now have a scaled-down version of their regular school schedule. Not having to be awake for the normal 7:20 a.m. start time means students are watching more Netflix than ever before. However, according to a study by Netflix in 2013, 61% of users were already watching between two and six episodes of a show in one sitting.

Junior Madison Chandler has binged three shows since the beginning of quarantine.

“I normally binge-watch shows but I have a lot more time now that I’m always home,” Chandler said.

According to a survey conducted by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2018, the average American spends 2.8 hours watching TV daily which accounts for over half their leisure time.

“I get hooked on a show and I want to know what is going to happen, so I keep watching,” said Baker. “Having the time to do this has made binge-watching a lot easier too.”

Being quarantined has meant that people no longer get to see their friends and even extended family. So, Netflix users have started using a chrome extension called Netflix Party. 

Netflix Party is a free extension that allows users to watch TV shows or movies at the same time that also contains a live chat feature for friends and family to communicate.

Freshman Catherine Bunn has used Netflix Party over 50 times since being in quarantine and continues to do so.

“I discovered Netflix party when I was watching Tik Tok and someone posted about it, so I suggested it to a lot of my friends and then we were all watching movies by that night,” Bunn said.

Netflix Party has been a way for people to binge-watch shows while also maintaining a social output throughout quarantine.

Junior Lucas Shoenfeld has used Netflix Party about six times with his friends to watch shows like Atypical and Outlander.

“If my friends and I watched the Netflix show separately but tried to synchronize when we watch it, it would be more difficult to make jokes and react to it because everyone wouldn’t be at the exact same point,” Shoenfeld said.

Binge-watching has always been popular with teens; Netflix Party is just an extension that allows binge-watching to be made into a social hangout as many teens struggle with not being able to spend time with friends or family.

“It’s been a good thing to have been in quarantine because I’ve had time to do different chores and time to relax and just watch shows that I normally wouldn’t be able to,” said Shoenfeld.