Frasca introduced as new principal

photo by Bryson Turner

After giving an introductory speech to the faculty on Thursday, new principal Robert Frasca (right) talks with teachers, including ROTC instructor Col. Calvin Wimbish (left).

On Thursday, April 25, Robert Frasca was introduced to faculty as the new principal of Hagerty High School. His official first day is Monday, April 29.

Frasca was selected from a field of candidates aiming to fill the vacancy left by former principal Dr. Mary Williams. The school board has not released the terms of Williams’ departure, but stated that finding a replacement was of utmost importance. “Although we’ve been through challenging circumstances, we’re looking forward to the future.”

According to Mike Gaudreau, executive director of Seminole County Schools, three focus groups – the Student Committee, Faculty Committee and Resume Selection Teams – met to discuss the filling of the vacancy.  Last Friday, the Resume Selection Team and interview group met at the district office to speak to Gaudreau and a school board representative about qualities that they would like to see in the next principal and to review resumes submitted since the application window closed. The top several resumes were selected, and out of those interviews taken on Monday, April 22, Frasca was announced the new principal.

“I look forward to building a positive relationship with our students on campus,” Frasca said.

Before the announcement faculty and students were encouraged to view this change of authority as an “opportunity,” according to assistant principal Jesse Walker said. “Although we’ve gone through difficult times recently, I’m just really looking forward to the future of Hagerty High School.”

Frasca, who grew up in Kissimmee, began his education career in 2002 as a teacher and head baseball coach with his alma mater, Gateway High School, after he graduated from Stetson University with a degree in Social Studies Education. Since then, he has held positions as an English teacher, Government teacher, World History teacher, and athletic director of Lyman High School before becoming an assistant principal at Oviedo High School in 2013. He most recently served as an assistant principal at Lake Mary High School.

Due to the quick transition as principal at Hagerty, Frasca does not want to come in and immediately implement new ideas.

“My first goal is to watch and listen – to talk to kids, teachers, parents and staff members,” Frasca said. “I need to learn what being a Husky is all about.”

One thing that Frasca would like students to know is that they should not hesitate to come talk to him.

“Don’t be afraid to come up and say ‘Hello’ and tell me how [your] day is going and tell me what’s going on and what I can do to help,” Frasca said.

Frasca aims to be involved in as many events as possible.

“I want to be the biggest cheerleader for everybody, Frasca said. “I just want to be present.”

With a new job and a new title, Frasca hopes to maintain the excellence Hagerty has exhibited.

“Hagerty has done phenomenal things,” Frasca said. “My job is to make sure we don’t get complacent.”