The student news site of Hagerty High School

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

The BluePrint Online

Boys and girls track compete in regionals at UNF

A Hagerty and Seminole runner sprint with baton in hand while compete in the 4x800 relay race.
photo by Michael Fullana
A Hagerty and Seminole runner sprint with baton in hand while compete in the 4×800 relay race.

The boys and girls track teams competed in the FHSAA 4A region 1 competition at the University of North Florida on Wednesday, May 8. The boys placed 14th overall with top performers being Jonathan Leon, who placed second in the 3,200 meter with a time of 9:06.78 and Gabriel Abbate, who placed fourth in the 1600 meter with a time of 4:23.09. 

The girls placed eighth overall, Alyssa Morley placed third in the high jump as well as the triple jump. Dakota Pacheco-Sanchez placed fourth in the high jump.

“The season overall went pretty well. It started off rough because we didn’t have a high jump mat,” Pacheco said, “but after we got the mat it went well. It helps to get your technique down.”

Other athletes that qualified include Jacob Leon (3200), Michael Smith (Pole Vault), and Luke Thomazin (Discus). The 4×800 relay team, the runners being Jacob Leon, Alexaiver Davis-Medina, Alex Madruga, and Julian Scanlon, placed fourth and qualified for states.

“I think it’s already an achievement to go to states, I want to get a PR (personal record). I think overall we’ll do good,” Pacheco said.

As the season comes to end, Leon and Scanlon will continue track in college. Leon will attend the University of Florida and Scanlon will attend Daytona State college.

“Getting them to be able to participate on the next level is a part of our goal, having them able to be in a spot where they can make choices (about college) is a nice reward for us,” coach Jay Getty said.