Thespians sell home goods

Junior Ellie Bailey and sophomores Emily Canamella and Vangeli Tsompanidis practice for the upcoming musical. The Mystery of Edwin Drood will be held on November 3, 4 and 5.

photo by Emily Cosio

Since August, thespians have been holding fundraisers in order to pay for shows and to keep the department running. To raise money for the musical, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, thespians are currently selling home goods and will later be selling candy bars and Yankee candles. Multiple fundraisers will be held throughout the school year.

The thespians are selling appliances, wrapping paper, fragrances and other home goods, which can be purchased from any thespian.

“We need to raise the money so we can keep putting on shows and do activities for thespians outside of school,” junior Emma Matzinger said.

Costs include two competitions, materials, pianists, choreographers, lighting designers and show rights. The main source of money comes from fundraisers held throughout the year. Just like many extracurricular activities, the theatre department is self-funded.

“Mr. Southworth just wants the department to be in a good financial state. He’s really good with handling the money and foreseeing any monetary issues that could occur and stopping them before they do,” senior Sarah Halverson said.

Rewards are given to the top-sellers. For the cookie dough fundraiser, the top selling thespian does not have to sell ads for the year. The top selling non-thespian gets five thespian points. To become a thespian, a student needs 10 points.

New this year, the thespians are submitting the musical for a main stage competition in Tampa in March.

“Fundraisers are integral to the theatre department. Theatre is an outlet where students can express themselves in a way that no other art form lets them,” sophomore Emily Canamella said.