Trust the process

photo by Aliyah Rackley

Freshman Morgan O’Neil receives a pass from junior Jessica Vasquez in the Feb. 9 home game against Celebration.

Friday, Feb. 26 marked a 17-2 loss to Oviedo, followed by a 21-16 loss to Bishop Moore on Monday, Feb. 29. After facing back-to-back losses, the girls lacrosse team is hoping to learn from the opponents they faced to play stronger going forward.

Last year’s game against Bishop Moore left the team victorious, and the team faced few changes in its lineup leading up to this season’s game.  However, the team was concerned over the fact that Bishop Moore had beaten Vero Beach, a team undefeated in the state since 2007, by eight points earlier that month.

The team experimented with mixing up lineups in the weeks leading up to the game, trying to find the perfect combination.

“I really feel like last night was the best our offense has played this season,” attacker Jessica Vasquez said. “Despite the final score, we really seemed to click.”

Overall, the team totaled 15 draw controls and 16 ground ball controls in the game against Bishop Moore.

“With so much youth, you have to learn on the field sometimes, and you could see a lot of learning last night,” head coach Mitch Whittington said.

The team is new, but its younger players pull their weight. Sophomore Rachel Campbell and freshman Katie Williams were the only two to score in the Oviedo game.

The team will play Dr. Phillips at home Tuesday, March 1 at 7 p.m. and hopes to apply what the past two games have shown them.

“We say ‘trust the process,’ and the process is a body of work,” Whittington said. “It’s not one game; it’s two games, four games. It’s a process that continues game to game.”