Government and Economics classes hold annual voter registration drive

Florida+Supervisor+of+Elections+Chris+Anderson+speaks+to+students+about+the+importance+of+voting+and+his+experiences+in+the+army.+Students+were+able+to+register+to+vote+at+the+seminar+or+pre-register+if+they+were+under+18-years-old.+

photo by Nadia Knoblauch

Florida Supervisor of Elections Chris Anderson speaks to students about the importance of voting and his experiences in the army. Students were able to register to vote at the seminar or pre-register if they were under 18-years-old.

Filling out voter registration documents can be difficult and confusing. Social security numbers, driver’s licenses and paperwork can lead many to hold off on registering, despite its importance. However, when senior Luke Spencer filled out his voter registration forms, he did not have to turn to a Google search or parent when he had a question, but the Seminole County Supervisor of Elections, Chris Anderson, who was ready to help.

“I think it was useful to register at this event because you had people there who were experts in this and that could help you if you had questions or if you were concerned about which party you should register with,” Spencer said.

On March 29, United States Government, Macroeconomics and Microeconomics classes met in the auditorium to attend the annual voter registration drive, organized by AP United States Government teacher, Matthew Malkovich. Beginning in 2010, Malkovich has coordinated with local government officials and staff to organize the event, allowing students to engage with officials and learn about the inner workings of voting beyond the classroom. 

“I learned more about my local representatives, how voting is structured in Seminole County and the necessity of voting,” senior Ilani Seguinot said. “It is important to vote because these are decisions and policies that will affect us far into the future, and if we have a certain position on an issue, we should elect the people that we believe will enact the changes that we want to see.”

According to Malkovich, the drive is scheduled each year, depending on the availability of the Supervisor of Elections and his team. Although the event will be held in the fall next school year, the schedule for this year allowed AP United States Government students’ lesson on primaries and voting behavior to line up with the drive, giving them a better understanding of their class material.

“I got the sense that Hagerty appreciates its ability to bring people to get us registered to vote and teaches us appreciation of our right to vote.

— Luke Spencer

“I got the sense that Hagerty appreciates its ability to bring people to get us registered to vote and teaches us appreciation of our right to vote,” Spencer said.

To start the event, the classes heard from Anderson, who has been the Seminole County Supervisor of Elections for the past four years. Passionate about the importance of voting, Anderson advocated using your voice in elections, especially local, to make a difference in the community. Reflecting on his time in the U.S. Army, Anderson spoke to students about the struggles he faced while deployed in Afghanistan and how we cannot take our freedoms for granted.

“I definitely felt like he had a real passion about voting,” Spencer said. “He was really eager to share his opinions on why we should vote and how grateful he was for being elected.”

Along with Anderson, students were able to hear from Oviedo City Council member Jeff Boddiford and Seminole County Public Schools board member Autumn Garrick. The two continued to push the value of a vote, sharing how they aim to better Seminole County and Oviedo through their positions.

In addition to gaining a better understanding of voting, the ultimate goal of the drive was to get more students to register to vote. AP Government and Economics teachers William Bordelon and Adam Stansbury handed out flyers that gave students information on voter registration. Students were then able to complete and submit their forms to Anderson, who was present at the event. If students did not have the information needed to fill out their forms, such as their driver’s license or last four digits of their social security number, they were able to return the form the next day to Principal Robert Frasca, who would then submit the documents on their behalf. According to Malkovich, 99 students were already pre-registered to vote, and another 196 registered at the drive. 

“I think a lot of people wish the government would work differently, and I think if you’re not voicing your opinion through a vote, then there is really no point in complaining,” Spencer said.

Sharing one’s voice through voting is important despite age, political party or opinion. Whether it is a local issue, such as business expansion or traffic control, or a national concern like abortion or climate change, registered seniors now look forward to having their voices heard by their local officials.

“I hope they know that the local elected officials are available for them and that they want to hear their concerns and talk to them,” Malkovich said. “You’re not going to call Joe Biden—he’s not going to call you back. Jeff is going to call you back. The school board members are going to call you back. That’s the main thing, not to take anything away from the importance of voting at the national level, but, for sure, those lower-level officials are going to pay attention to you.”