Disorderly student section causes pep rally cancellation

Students cheer at the first pep rally of the year. The 9/23 pep rally was canceled because of the actions taken by the student section.

photo by Shannon Hahn

After varsity football won a close game against Timber Creek, 10-7, last Friday, the student section rushed the field and taunted the home crowd with chants of “F— Timber Creek.” As a result, on Monday, principal Robert Frasca canceled the Sept. 23 pep rally for the home game against East River.

“Students do not understand what the consequences of some of those behaviors can be,” Frasca said. “All it takes is one adult from the other side to put their hands on one of our kids and a major fight will erupt.”

The student section continued their chanting into the parking lot while getting into verbal arguments with parents and students from the other team.

“It was not the right thing to do and we should have been celebrating with our team,” student section leader Aiden Cilladi said.

Students, especially seniors, are upset with the cancellation because it resulted from the actions of a small group of students. Students believe that since they were not involved in the situation, they should not be punished for it. The cancelation came as a shock to the majority of the school.

“It is not fair that everyone gets punished even though it was only a small portion of students,”  junior Madison Rodgers said. “We only get a limited amount of pep rallies in the first place.”

Even though students are upset, Frasca believes that they could put themselves in danger if they keep this type of action up.

“Earlier in my career there was a riot at my school,” Frasca said. “My job is to keep our students safe and canceling the pep rally was the only option I saw that would show students the consequences of their actions.”

There are rules set for the student section which include, following all directions of staff and administrators, being respectful, not throwing any objects, no profanity, and having class, according to Frasca.

“We will improve on using foul language and disrespecting the other team,” Cilladi said. He also wanted everyone to “remember to be respectful and get loud for your team.”