Admin tightens security, brings back PRIDE rewards

Assistant+Principal+Reggie+Miller+quizzes+students+on+what+PRIDE+stands+for+%28Punctuality%2C+Respect%2C+Integrity%2C+Dependability%2C+Excellence%29.+Students+were+awarded+with+Hagerty+merch+if+they+answered+correctly.+

photo by Bela Guise

Assistant Principal Reggie Miller quizzes students on what PRIDE stands for (Punctuality, Respect, Integrity, Dependability, Excellence). Students were awarded with Hagerty merch if they answered correctly.

Administration organized first-week assemblies to inform students of new safety policies and the Husky Bucks program. The meetings, held for each class and led by principal Robert Frasca, touched on topics ranging from new student ID policies to dress code rules

One of the biggest announcements was that students are no longer required to wear their IDs, but must have them ready to show to administration should they conduct ID checks in classrooms or at the doors. While the school plans on continuing with physical IDs for the next few months, an electronic ID is currently under review by the district.

“One of the things that the digital ID would allow us to do is update who’s off campus. There’ll be a little mark on the ID saying you don’t have fifth, or sixth period,” Frasca said. “I think it has some potential to replace our HERO system because it can do the same things at a cheaper price.”

Although ID requirements have loosened, other safety procedures have become stricter. Deliveries, whether from a parent or services like Uber Eats, are not allowed, and students are now required to only use the school’s two main entrances: the doors leading out to the bus ramp or the main doors between the front office and the media center. These changes are part of the administrative focus on safety after two years of loosened rules. 

According to Frasca, all exterior doors that are not considered main entry points are now marked “Emergency Exit Only.” Students should not use these doors to enter or exit campus, nor open doors for anyone attempting to enter campus. If they do so, they will be subject to disciplinary action. The complete list of safety procedures was emailed out to parents on Aug. 12.

While safety was a top priority, administration also wanted to focus on rewarding positive behavior. In addition to new procedures, the Husky Bucks program is returning to campus after a two-year hiatus. As a part of Positive Behavior Intervention Support, the PBIS system will replace HERO points as a way to improve student behavior and build school pride. 

“I think an important part of correcting behavior is rewarding kids for doing the right things,” Frasca said. “[PBIS] is a way we can do that.” 

Students can earn Husky Bucks when a teacher or staff member sees them doing a good deed. By accumulating Husky Bucks, students can earn prizes ranging from prom tickets to yearbooks. 

“It might be as simple as we see a couple kids leaving their trash and somebody else comes in and just decides, hey, I’m gonna pick it up because it’s the right thing to do. We could walk into classrooms, check for IDs, and give kids bucks who have their IDs,” Frasca said. “I see good things happen on this campus all the time. Our students help each other a lot, and I think that needs to be recognized.”