Young Republicans look to introduce change

YRC+president+Reagan+Eastlick+addresses+members+at+the+clubs+first+official+meeting.+

photo by Peyton Sutch

YRC president Reagan Eastlick addresses members at the club’s first official meeting.

On Thursday, Feb. 25, students hosted the first chapter meeting for the renewed Young Republicans Club. Under new leadership, the club hosted an approximate total of 70 attendees at their first informational meeting.
The club, newly sponsored by math teacher Mrs. Aglai Christodoulides and led by junior president Reagan Eastlick, consists of a democratic leadership structure where students run for positions such as President, Vice-President and Treasurer at the beginning of each year. While the “previous chapter was dismal in scope” according to Eastlick, the success of this year’s first meeting signified to him that YRC has a significant place at Hagerty and ensured that the bi-monthly meetings would be relatively well-received.
“I thought this club would be much like its predecessor: extremely tiny. Instead I was greeted by a room overflowing with people, many of whom I’ve never met before. I was stunned. And humbled. And inspired.” Eastlick wrote in a digital letter addressing the influx of new YRC members.
Many students have since expressed a mutual appreciation for the rebranding of the club and it’s newfound popularity.
“It was great to see so many passionate students that just wanted to meet people with shared views, ” said Jane Doe*. “Politics shape the world we live in and school is supposed to educate students on how to form new ideas, not just how to push away sensitive or controversial topics. I think YRC will be a space for people to both talk and learn, which is absolutely necessary.”
The club’s mission statement falls along the premise of “fostering and creating a positive conservative community” on campus. Eastlick furthers his reasoning for installing this latest chapter of YRC under the idea that conservative students deserve a space to freely interact with others without fear of ostracization or harassment. While students like Jane Doe* believe that their identity and political affiliation are better kept separate for this reason, they have since found solace in YRC.
“This club isn’t about complete agreement, it’s about growing,” Eastlick said. “YRC is a place where people can go to be challenged and become better for it, no one will be attacked for anything. [It’s] not a ‘safe space’— it’s a real one.”
In the same spirit, future meetings will consist of quick contemporary lessons presented by the attending president, followed by time for students to discuss topics of interest and mingle. The club is also aiming to incorporate community service projects into their curriculum.
“Reviving the club is and will be especially important this year,” Eastlick said. “People are tired of constantly being attacked for things that they aren’t… I hope [YRC] attracts anyone and everyone who wants to speak their mind without feeling scared.”
* Name has been changed among request.