Homecoming canceled due to COVID

photo by Jacob Arthur

Students crowd into the old gym to dance and sing at a the 2015 Homecoming dance.

Girls in short sequined dresses stand frigid in the cold January air , unsure what to do as music blares through the football stadium loudspeakers. Vibrant spray painted circles cover the field with students awkwardly swaying to the music alone in each. No one could enjoy homecoming with the thought of contracting a deadly disease in the back of everyone’s mind. 

On Jan. 7  it was announced that the homecoming dance was canceled due to the pandemic. Originally scheduled during football season in October, the dance was pushed back to January due to COVID-19 in hopes to hold the function in a safer environment. 

“ I was being optimistic and thinking that we could do, January, we’d be back to normal, and we’re not quite there yet,” principal Robert Frasca said. 

COVID cases in Seminole County have risen and the administration feels that it would be irresponsible to hold a dance at this time.

“CDC guidelines still haven’t changed, district guidelines and health department guidelines still haven’t changed, it’s just not safe to put that many people in an indoor space for a school dance,” Frasca said. 

Alternate dance locations such as the football field or school courtyard were discussed but due to the nature of school dances and other limiting factors those were ultimately thrown out. 

Although the dance has been cancelled, other homecoming events such as coronation, powder puff and dress up days will resume, with alterations. For example, now instead of being crowned before a football game, the homing court will be announced during basketball.

In addition to normal events the school Leadership program is hopeful to introduce some new events that have never been done before. 

“I’m looking forward to trying something new, this pandemic is forcing us to try some different things,” leadership sponsor Kari Miller said.

The decision to cancel this year’s dance has been upsetting to many, but Frasca is confident in his decision.  

“I want our kids to have opportunities to participate in things on campus, I miss those types of things,  but I still have to make the responsible decision based on the health department guidelines we’ve been faced with,” Frasca said.