COVID-19 Update

Keep up to date with our scrolling feed of Coronavirus news and links:

COVID-19 FAQ’s, vol. 3

May 26 – The HagertyJourn staff answers more frequently asked questions based off of information given from principal Robert Frasca, Oviedo’s Mayor Meagan Sladek, and the College Board. 

Route for underclassman textbook drop off

High speed internet for families in need

May 21-  Spectrum internet is offering internet to families in need through their Spectrum Internet Assist program. For more information click here

Seminole County Schools Hosts “Open House”

May 12 – Seminole County virtual school will be hosting a virtual open house on May 15. This open house will give parents the opportunity to learn the variety of options available to students. Fill out this google form to RSVP. 

New Dates for Hagerty Students

Florida Governor orders school closures for the rest of the school year

April 18 – Governor Ron Desantis announced that K-12 schools will be closed for the rest of the school year. Distance learning will continue during this time.

SCPS Facebook live sessions

April 10 – Seminole county public schools will be offering “Lunch and Learn” Facebook live sessions on  the district’s Facebook page. Each session will feature several district leaders focusing on different topics such as mental health, student support, and remote learning assistance.

COVID-19 FAQ’s, vol. 2

April 8 – The Hagertyjourn staff answers more frequently asked questions pertaining to the Coronavirus and its impacts on the community. In this second round of FAQ’s, we answer questions more directly related to schools and everyday life. 

UCF opens new drive through testing site

April 6 – University of Central Florida opened Orlando’s second Coronavirus testing location. This appointment-only site is offering a drive through option to test for the virus. In order to get an appointment patients must be pre-screened by a local healthcare provider. 

SCPS Coronavirus update #16 

April 3 – Superintendent Dr. Walt Griffin has released another update concerning COVID-19 and how it is affecting schools. This four part update includes tips for success in online learning, warnings against unprotected teleconference programs, a reminder for students to follow the Acceptable Use and Safety policy when using school laptops, and a notification that eCampus was closed for thirty minutes on April 5th for maintenance. 

Florida governor issues 30-day stay-at-home order

April 1 – Amid the Coronavirus pandemic, governor Ron Desantis has issued a thirty day stay at home order where citizens are required to stay home. Unless out for essential products or considered an essential worker, residents should stay home for thirty days.

Nextdoor.com offering COVID-19 assistance

Nextdoor, a social networking service focused on neighborhood involvement, has created a new program in which neighbors who are in need of help due to the Coronavirus can find neighbors who can assist them through a dot system. To find out more visit Nextdoor, sign in and visit the help map.

New Seminole County executive order

March 30 – Seminole County has released a new executive order in which all buildings must stay at 30% occupancy under the fire code, all storefronts must mark floors of congregated areas to allow 6 feet apart between customers, group meetings must stay under ten people, and all employees and patrons must abide to social distancing and remain six feet apart. Included in this order are some frequently asked questions regarding city management services and transportation.

SCPS Coronavirus Update #15                 

After Walt Griffin’s conference call with the Florida Department of Education the decision was made to extend closure of schools to April 30th. School buildings are scheduled to reopen on May 1st. Distance learning will continue during this time. More information is available on the Seminole County Schools website.

COVID-19 FAQ’s, vol. 1

MARCH 30 – The Hagertyjourn staff answered questions about the Coronavirus and its impact both globally and locally. In round one of FAQ’s, we answer general questions about the virus.

SCPS prepares for distance learning

MARCH 24 – Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, major changes have occurred in Seminole County Public Schools. According to principal Robert Frasca, he and other principals have been working with superintendent Walt Griffin to find solutions for the county to continue school.