Theater hosts Cabaret, final event of year

photo by Hayden Turner

Senior Cassidy Smith sings a solo at the drama department’s Caberet on May 15.

Thespian Troupe 6885 hosted The Greatest Show, their annual cabaret and final event of the year on May 13 in the auditorium. The event consisted of performances of songs from musicals that have been transformed from movies to Broadway Musicals. Many of them were also Disney Films.o

The cabaret acts as a final challenge for students since they were given limited time to rehearse for each of their performances, from solos to trios.

“The cast had to work fast and diligently to get things done and present an exciting production to our audience,” senior Vangeli Tsompanidis said.

Along with this year’s wrap-up , it was the seniors’ last performance. It gave them the opportunity to reflect on their high school theater careers and how they have improved throughout their time at Hagerty . It also gave them the chance to compare perspectives as a freshman versus perspectives as a senior.

“I remember watching the seniors my freshman year perform their solos with beauty and expertise,” senior Michael McNamara said. “When I got to be one of those seniors and receive such positive feedback, it made me feel that I had risen to the challenge.”

Senior Rina Sukraj also gained perspective through her solo, and it allowed her to come out of her comfort zone after being known as ‘the straight actor’.

“It meant a lot to me to have my own solo because I have always been dubbed the straight actor,” Sukhraj said. “I am known more for my acting…and not for my voice or musical theater pieces.”

In the Disney portion of the night, Tsompanidis performed “Proud of Your Boy,” from the movie Aladdin, one of many Disney films that have been turned into Broadway shows.

“[In the song] Aladdin is promising his mother that he will make her proud, despite his rocky past,” Tsompanidis said. “It meant a lot to me to sing that song since my parents were in the audience.”

This event further improves the seniors as they go on after high school, especially a future in theater. It provides a chance to further themselves in difficulty, and provides each student more experience.

“To be able to put new pieces in front of new people aids my confidence as a performer, and I think when it comes to performance, being confident is the most important thing,” Sukhraj said.

The theater department will be performing The Crucible in the fall of the next school year and Big Fish in the spring.